Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
@Davenay67
Looks like you have a lot on your plate this year.
The 250 Ninja is easy. Once I get the carbs working how I want, the bike build is only a lazy afternoon's work.

The Triumph depends on the broken gauge cluster (not in the picture). If a used replacement eBay works then the rebuild of the Triumph will be about 60 minutes with new parts. No joke, very simple. BUT, if a replacement unit doesn't work, and it very well may not, then I have a winter electronics project ahead of me swapping LCD screens.

The VFR is the bigger amount of work. It looks worse then it really is. Still a good chunk of work all the same.

I'll keep the updates coming as they happen. This weekend and the next two are a bust as I'm finishing up my MSF teaching for the year.

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
^ welcome to EX. Check the For sale section here for part outs.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
yes welcome to the forum, I was waiting for an introductory post but you haven't done one yet, :)(y)
have a look on E-bay it's a good source for used bits, avoid the new Chinese copy stuff though and only order parts for a gen 2 like yours 1994 on. the early stuff pre 1994 is gen 1 and most of the parts will not fit yours.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Pulled the pin and order a used gauge cluster from eBay from another '12 Street Triple. Supposed to arrive in 2 - 3 weeks time. Really hoping it plugs and plays, that would be the quick, easy and less expensive solution. If this cluster doesn't play ball, then I will need to go the route of the LCD screen transplant....not all that easy.

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Poised to wrap '21 up come Dec 1. All 3 reliable (though 2 admittedly dated) bikes severely limits winter needs, with normal exception of fuel system prep and proper coverup. Ducati timing belts and oil/filter services are due next spring, Honda just an oil /filter change. Thats about all I got goin' on.

·
Registered
2009 Ninja 500R
35 Posts
EX500: Absolutely nothing planned. It gets ridden whenever it's above freezing and the roads are dry.

KTM: Pull battery, top up coolant, drain fuel, MAYBE bring it to my friend's house for winter storage.

V-Strom: Pull and properly sync throttle bodies, properly sync idle air screws, drain fuel, replace and missing/damaged bolts and pins. Richen up the low end via homemade Yosh box if I don't get around to it before winter.

Edit: Knocked a couple items off the list early 😁
Update here.
  • EX: will be winterized.
  • ZZR600: picked up as a winter project, but got it done early. Taking the Ninja's place as the year-round machine.
  • KTM: will have its battery pulled, steering damper sent out and suspension bearings re-packed.
  • V-Strom: will be plugged into a tender so that it'll be available should the ZZR break or I decide to do one of the holiday IBA rides.
So not much in the way of winter projects unless my friend's dad lets me take on reviving his 1982 GPZ 550.

Reactions: bpe

·
Registered
659 Posts
'12 Street Triple UPDATE : Speedo / Gauge Cluster FIXED!!

The new cluster arrived from England, took forever to arrive, but it was obviously worth the wait.

Essentially, I purchased a used set from the same year, same model bike ('12 Street Triple), and matched the serial # on the back of both units. I felt his gave me the best chance of plug-n-play success, and whether by skill (doubtful) or luck (most likely) it worked.
Gone are the days of any old speedo hooking up to your bike. Modern bikes have so many 'nanny' electronics embedded into their systems, and the speedo/gauge cluster is almost a 2nd CPU on this bike. Swapping is far form straightforward, and I feel I really dodged an expensive bullet getting this to work.

So now I can get on with the rest of the build, which is mostly sourcing new parts (cluster bracket, headlight shell, etc). This is a big step and I'm so excited to have this thing ready to rock come Spring.

PS....Dang, it's loud!!

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
^ grats, you def lucked out on cluster fix. So how many bikes, in total, have you got backed up there?

·
Registered
659 Posts
^ grats, you def lucked out on cluster fix. So how many bikes, in total, have you got backed up there?
Every bike needs attention to varying degrees:

GL1800 - needs air filter (bigger job than you might imagine, hours of removing plastics), then oil, filter, spark plugs, and rear diff oil change
Duc 996 - needs belts, oil, filter, spark plugs (and the big unknown is whether the rockers need re-chroming)
VFR800 - rebuild
Street Triple - replace broken parts, an easy parts build now that the new cluster is working
2 x Ninja 250 - finish the carbs, and build 2 bikes....easy once the carbs are working
ZX-7R - even though it runs OK it really needs a thorough deep-cleaning, and the carbs could probably benefit from rebuilding....a next year project

Need a bike for my 2022 goal of a track day or 2. Thinking that the easiest would be the Street Triple. Rear tire is already shagged, so a set of fairly sticky rubber and it's ready to go. The 996 likely won't be ready. The ZX-7 also likely not ready. The VFR would be a good track day toy if I finish the build over Winter....

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Wow, 7 needing varying degrees of attention. Quite the :oops: list there

·
Registered
659 Posts
'12 Street Triple UPDATE : Speedo / Gauge - CEL.

The bike starts and runs, but was accompanied by the ominous orange CEL. I know that disconnecting a speedo, or ruining a battery flat can cause codes. And I did both of these things. Usually 3 complete cycles can clear a CEL, and I (thought) I tried 3 cycles, but the CEL stayed lit. Anyway, Google taught me that my year has a regular OBD-II port like those on cars, and that it takes the same scanners.
So, I plugged in the meter, read the P1690 code, and then promptly cleared the CEL. Better than counting flashes from the dash.

Small, but a very satisfying little win for the day.

·
Registered
659 Posts
so 1 down, just 6 to go Dave? :rolleyes:
Triumph not finished. Still have to replace the speedo cluster bracket, and a broken headlamp bucket. Looked at the wiring for the tail lights, and it's a bit of a mess. Original signals replaced with LED, so there are some resistors added to the wiring, which are too untidy to my eye. I will attempt to clean the wiring up. Brake light is also LED but looks like OEM. Need to investigate if that is also aftermarket, which I suspect by the wiring. Not a ton of work, it's close.

Ducati and ZX-7 are definitely springtime projects at best.

·
Administrator
15,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Winterizing, putting all my stuff away at this point. 50f is my temp threshold, and weather currently shows just 1 day meeting that in the next week or so. Sucks, but reality best to be faced head on....I'm now done till early spring.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
yeah same here it snowed today :( was thinking of not winterising the gen 1, for those bright crisp sunny winter days but I don't have any specific winter bike gear. so without some great expense on gear it might not be worth it. so this week it will be put to bed until spring.
plenty of work to do on the other bike so that will keep me busy for the days it's not too cold to work in the garage.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts