Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I followed through, all 3 tanks now filled up, stabilizer added, batteries taken indoors (warmth) and charged. Properly covered as well. All I can say now is.......

#comeonspringdammit

·
Administrator
16,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
anyone have any updates or further news of ongoing projects?

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,395 Posts
I still haven't opened my parts box from Ron Ayers yet. Been trying to get my work area cleaned up a bit for the last few days.

·
Registered
769 Posts
anyone have any updates or further news of ongoing projects?
I've not done anything in the (cold) garage since getting the Street Triple gauge cluster working, but I've done some plastic repairs in the (warm) basement. Mostly fixing broken tabs back onto the 250 Ninja side panels (which are very prone to breaking) and re-attaching tabs to the upper fairing panels (almost guaranteed to break).

I'm in the middle of making new tabs (to replace any broken and missing tabs) using my DIY plastifix solution using a mold I took from a fairing panel with intact tabs....this should be interesting.

The Street Triple has some panels with hairline cracks, and I had good success using a product called Weld-On, which has a high concentration of Dichloromethane. Thanks to @po18guy for the tip on this chemical. Slightly less snug fitting parts get the simple and cheap plumbers ABS for the repair. Thanks to @yorkie for this tip.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Tired of putting it off any longer. Time to tackle the air filter replacement on the GL1800. On most motorcycles a new air filter is quick and easy. On the Goldwing the air filter is buried deep in the bowels of the motorcycle, requiring many parts top be removed just t get to the air filter. :rolleyes:

I was able to get to the air filter in a single work session, so things went smoother than I was expecting. A new filter is on the way, so it gives me some time to clean up all the dust and grime that you can only get to when all these parts are removed.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door

·
Administrator
16,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
tip o' the hat to you @Davenay67 as I haven't done a darn thing to any of mine, waiting till spring.

#comeonspringdammit

·
Registered
769 Posts
tip o' the hat to you @Davenay67 as I haven't done a darn thing to any of mine, waiting till spring.

#comeonspringdammit
We've been in the 40's, so working in the garage isn't really that bad right now. and I really want to finish the GL1800 so that I have it ready to ride come Spring, regardless of what state any of the other bikes are in.

After the air filter is done, then it's a simple oil and filter change, and a rear diff fluid change. All easy stuff. And Big Red is ready to rock for 2022! :)

·
Fast Old Guy
19,994 Posts
Given the fact that Goldwings never leave the payment I would wonder why the air filter wouldn't last a lifetime

FOG

·
Registered
769 Posts
Not motorcycle related, but I bought an old Apple iie that I am renovating. Always wanted on of these when I was a kid, but could never come up with that kind of money. On a nostalgic kick right now, and decided it was time to visit an old hero.

Working on an indoor project sure beats the weather in the garage in IL right now! :)

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,395 Posts
Down for winter maintenance. Year-end mileage, 120,909.
Just the minimum maintenance this year. With the exceptions of installing new valve cover O-rings, and radiator dampers.

·
Administrator
16,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
15 degree F here right now, not doin' nuffin , no way

·
Administrator
16,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Down for winter maintenance. Year-end mileage, 120,909.
Just the minimum maintenance this year. With the exceptions of installing new valve cover O-rings, and radiator dampers.
quite impressive!

Reactions: bpe

·
Registered
769 Posts
Despite sub-zero temps in the garage still, I decide I really needed to get some work done. My Streetie came with the most obnoxious exhaust ever, this simpley awful Coffman tip. Just a total loud boys POS. Not as simple as removing the tip and putting the Triumph pip back in place, because to mount this tip the exhaust header (with a cat) had to be cust at an angle. The OWM take a 90 degree turn upwards for the OEM underseat mufflers. So to replace the tip I would have to buy the header pipe, the midpipe and both mufflers. Midpipe and muffler come and go on Ebay, but the header is truly scarce.

Luck shone on me recently and I was able to buy a complete system, as the owner had fitted a full Arrow system to his bike. Better yet, the OEM system had never been run and is completely mint!

Anyway after wrestling the 6 header nuts off (required the radiator to be unbolted so it could swing a little out of the way, plus use of a flex head), then unbolting the mid section and then removing the o2 sensor I finally got the old system off. Totally frozen at this point, so this is my win for the day. Will need to pick anther day to put the replacement pipes on.

Here's what was removed:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Liquid Automotive exterior Hood

Bicycle part Cylinder Gas Composite material Carbon

·
Administrator
16,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
brrrr, i'm shakin' just reading about the temp there.

·
Tanker Clown
8,720 Posts
Not motorcycle related, but I bought an old Apple iie that I am renovating.
Apple iiE? Been a long time since I even gave one of them a thought. When I was a Junior in High School, my school introduced a computer class, complete with an entire room filled with Apple iiE’s for us students.

Mind you, this was in 1982-83 so there was essentially nothing in the way of software. Aside from a handful of programs it was essentially a lab to teach programming….which ended up being useless as only one remained a valid programming language past the end of the 80s.
brrrr, i'm shakin' just reading about the temp there.
Me too. Last 2 days have been warm temps but windy with gust to 40 mph.

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
187 Posts
I think I might get around to painting and installing my lower fairing and the rear trunk... mayhaps... even making the longer side stand/kickstand... hopefully...

Reactions: yorkie

·
Administrator
16,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
On my list....come warmer weather intend to pull fuel injectors on 3 family owned Toyota's and Ducati 800SS to perform preventive maintenance (machine cleaning and filter basket replacements) on each.

·
Administrator
16,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
and yet another.....voltmeter add to my Honda CBR650R. It never freakin' ends, does it?

·
Administrator
16,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Weather report reveals a high in mid-40's later this week. I will likely attack some of my ever growing backlog that particular day.

#comeonspringdammit

41 - 60 of 72 Posts