Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Let me first say the stock exhaust does look nice, I just need a bike with some sound. Not only does it sound great, but I believe it is a safety issue, to let nearby motorists know your there.

I'm leaning towards 2-1 exhaust, but I have an 05 with the lower fairing and I want to keep my center stand and lower fairing at all costs. What exhausts allow you to do so? I've done some research here, and I know D&D won't allow you to keep them, along with V&H. I haven't found anything about it on the Jardine, Muzzy or yoshimura or anything others? Seems like I can only find ones that don't work, not the other way around. Anyone with some input please reply!

If I can't find a good 2-1, I'll be going with the Sarachu's slip ons.

R

·
0 Posts
Do a quick search here on the site, or Google, and you'll find quite a few threads on aftermarkets.

That being said, I just went with Hindle, and I love the sound. It allowed me to keep my centre stand and lower fairing with no adjustments.

I think you can keep them with V&H as well, but not certain...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Royson said:
Do a quick search here on the site, or Google, and you'll find quite a few threads on aftermarkets.

That being said, I just went with Hindle, and I love the sound. It allowed me to keep my centre stand and lower fairing with no adjustments.

I think you can keep them with V&H as well, but not certain...
V&H you need a special bracket for the center stand, and the lower gets a mod (chop). Mine didn't come with the centerstand so my PO must've been to lazy to do the stand when he added the exhaust. sucks.

R

·
0 Posts
Jason said:
V&H you need a special bracket for the center stand, and the lower gets a mod (chop). Mine didn't come with the centerstand so my PO must've been to lazy to do the stand when he added the exhaust. sucks.
Ah, that does suck.

Well, the Hindle system was easy to install and let me keep everything. If you're looking for a simple install on 2-1, it was.

Otherwise, Sarachu's FTW!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I rather have the duel exhaust, so I seen the Sarachu. I like my black exhaust, so I was thinking carbon fiber. but I was woundering is there any other good duel pipes that would work for my 1989 ex500. I do not have the front fairing I did not like the way it looked so that will not be in the way. ;D

·
Registered
192 Posts
im just as much into the sound as any self respecting rider, but i want some sort of performance gain... is there any advantage to:

Vance and Hines
D&D
Jardine
Yoshi
Sarachu
Hindle
Muzzy
Cobra F1

Slipons vs. Full Systems.

Obviously full systems are going to have reduced weight due to aluminum construction and combining the pipes into one... but as far as exhaust-exhaust comparison... which is best?

·
Registered
46 Posts
furyskater911 said:
im just as much into the sound as any self respecting rider, but i want some sort of performance gain... is there any advantage to:

Vance and Hines
D&D
Jardine
Yoshi
Sarachu
Hindle
Muzzy
Cobra F1

Slipons vs. Full Systems.

Obviously full systems are going to have reduced weight due to aluminum construction and combining the pipes into one... but as far as exhaust-exhaust comparison... which is best?
I'll answer in reverse order, and keep in mind i'm not an expert.

The factory dual exhaust weighs in at 7.5lbs PER can...so 15lbs. Sarachu dual exhaust is only 3.6lbs per can...so that drops 7lbs off the bike even with aftermarket dual exhaust.

As for serious performance gains...you need more than just exhaust. (This is where I'll probably say some wrong things...but here goes anways).

You need to think of the engine and an in-out system. Bitchin' exhaust doesn't help much if you don't get enough air into the engine in the first place. That's where things like FOG's airbox mod would come into play.

But, when you adjust the air intake into a carbuerated engine, you've gotta adjust the carbs to keep your fuel to air ratio correct. And a jet kit is NOT the answer. the instructions inside will help, but you kinda need to know about carb adjustments with needles and shims...as well as a desire to tinker it a few times until its dialed in.

failure to do so will cause too lean, or too rich a mixture, and poor performance...exactly what you don't want.

its totally doable, if you're up to the tinkering side of things.

feel free to correct any of my info....i'm by no means an expert...just trying to accurately spew out what I've been told in the past by more knowledgable people.

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
I'm not interested in remarking on this thread as my position on such hopping down is well known . but Mr Malkore said:
"when you adjust the air intake into a carburetted engine, you've gotta adjust the carbs to keep your fuel to air ratio correct."
There is nothing correct in this statement. unless you putting air into the engine that doesn't go through the carb.

The carb is an amazing device. it mixes fuel with the air in exact proportions by weight regardless of what the volume may be. So as long as any new found air (I have no Idea where you may find it) goes into your engine through the carburetter it will be supplied with exactly the right amount of fuel.

FOG

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
raxxus said:
Hello all!

Let me first say the stock exhaust does look nice, I just need a bike with some sound. Not only does it sound great, but I believe it is a safety issue, to let nearby motorists know your there.

I'm leaning towards 2-1 exhaust, but I have an 05 with the lower fairing and I want to keep my center stand and lower fairing at all costs. What exhausts allow you to do so? I've done some research here, and I know D&D won't allow you to keep them, along with V&H. I haven't found anything about it on the Jardine, Muzzy or yoshimura or anything others? Seems like I can only find ones that don't work, not the other way around. Anyone with some input please reply!

If I can't find a good 2-1, I'll be going with the Sarachu's slip ons.
I just gutted the rears of my stock mufflers , think its sounds great ,and is plenty loud

·
Registered
74 Posts
OK, odd question here, what if I wanted dual exaust, center stand, and QUIETER exaust? Would I even have options? I've found stuff that says "Higher HP" and "Richer Fuller Sound" and even "Loud" but never anything that advertizes quieter exaust.

Or am I just nuts?

-Noob

·
Registered
722 Posts
alex182 said:
OK, odd question here, what if I wanted dual exaust, center stand, and QUIETER exaust? Would I even have options? I've found stuff that says "Higher HP" and "Richer Fuller Sound" and even "Loud" but never anything that advertizes quieter exaust.

Or am I just nuts?

-Noob
twins are loud by nature, and the stock exhaust is very quiet, but packing more baffling material in might work

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Are they really used up ?

Mine sounds like they've been gutted out, but they are just old.. 17 years old ;D

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
twins are loud by nature, and the stock exhaust is very quiet, but packing more baffling material in might work
[/quote]

I dont know where you could pack anymore in those things with out stoping them up , I thought the things were too quiet ,thats why I took out material but hey that just me!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts