Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the little article in this month's Motorcyclist about various back protectors and was curious about use among this group. I wear a helmet, leather jacket, overpants, leather boots, and leather gloves everytime I ride. However, I don't wear a back protector. I'm wondering whether I have omitted a common piece of safety equipment worn by most riders "in the know" ;). From the article, I liked the look and specifications of the Forcefield back protector.

My guess is that the majority of racers on this site wear back protection as standard equipment, but how many of you street riders slap on the back protection as a normal part of your pre-ride routine? Also, has anyone (heaven forbid) crash tested a back protector?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
For what it's worth most motorcycle jackets have some type of back protection . While it's not as protective as a back protector , it's still better than nothing. Personally I don't use one for that reason . If your going to race then without a doubt it would be in your best interest.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Not sure how comfy it would be with a jacket, also I haven't seen too many
people riding with a back protector.

P.S. A good jacket should be sufficient.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
For what it's worth most motorcycle jackets have some type of back protection . While it's not as protective as a back protector , it's still better than nothing. Personally I don't use one for that reason . If your going to race then without a doubt it would be in your best interest.
If you race, IT'S A REQUIREMENT and without one, you wont set on black soled foot on the track until you do.

When it comes to protection, there's no such thing as obese overkill in my book. Strong Helmet, Race worthy Gloves, Chest Protector, back protector, elbows, shoulders, knees (and toes) protection, hip protection, strong supportive boots...

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Personally, all i go out with is Boots, jacket with shoulder and elbow protection, gloves and the lid. I've got a racing suit, but i need to drop a few pounds before i dare be seen in public with it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Knightslugger said:
Lucky#13 said:
If you race, IT'S A REQUIREMENT and without one, you wont set on black soled foot on the track until you do.

When it comes to protection, there's no such thing as obese overkill in my book. Strong Helmet, Race worthy Gloves, Chest Protector, back protector, elbows, shoulders, knees (and toes) protection, hip protection, strong supportive boots...

Personally, all i go out with is Boots, jacket with shoulder and elbow protection, gloves and the lid. I've got a racing suit, but i need to drop a few pounds before i dare be seen in public with it.
Dude, you just basically contradicted yourself with the "no such thing as obese overkill" + " better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it" comments by saying " I've got a racing suit, But I need to loose a few pounds before I dare be seen in public with it."

If you got it, wear it. Safety gear is susposed to be exactly for that. Safety. Not fashion. Who cares if your a little big for the suit. Aslong as you can get in it, wear it. Wouldn't it be kind of ironic if Karma decided to bite you in the a$$ right after this post and you hit the ground a rashed your legs all to hell cause you didn't wear your suit cause you didn't want to be seen in public with it on?:eek: Does slugger have self esteem issues? ;D
Practice what you preach man.

Anyways.. On topic. Back protectors are definatly a worthwile investment. They are designed to let you move forward in a crouched posistion, But not let your back bend backwards. They are actaully wuite comfortable, and after a little bit you don't even notice that you have it on.

Brad

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
marshall2 said:
Knightslugger said:
Lucky#13 said:

Dude, you just basically contradicted yourself with the "no such thing as obese overkill" + " better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it" comments by saying " I've got a racing suit, But I need to loose a few pounds before I dare be seen in public with it."

If you got it, wear it. Safety gear is susposed to be exactly for that. Safety. Not fashion. Who cares if your a little big for the suit. Aslong as you can get in it, wear it. Wouldn't it be kind of ironic if Karma decided to bite you in the a$$ right after this post and you hit the ground a rashed your legs all to hell cause you didn't wear your suit cause you didn't want to be seen in public with it on?:eek: Does slugger have self esteem issues? ;D
Practice what you preach man.

Anyways.. On topic. Back protectors are definatly a worthwile investment. They are designed to let you move forward in a crouched posistion, But not let your back bend backwards. They are actaully wuite comfortable, and after a little bit you don't even notice that you have it on.

Brad
DUDE, I'd rather be wearing something that fits PROPERLY than barely wearable... for both safety and appearance concerns. If it's too small and you can barely squeeze into it, you should drop a few pounds and try again. Beleive me, when i can fit into it properly with a Back protector inside, i'll be wearing it 100% of the time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It's not like slugger said he's riding in shorts and flip flops.
Is a jacket, helmet, boots and gloves not enough? If you
own a race suit have to wear it? ???

R

·
0 Posts
I recently picked up a back protector which fit my budget. I have a jacket, but the foam padding inside the spine is a bit of a joke to me. The back protector (Icon field armor, got is brand new at a well-used price) I picked up isn't the most high end, but it's what I could afford to give me an extra bit of protection on the road this coming summer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hollywood said:
It's not like slugger said he's riding in shorts and flip flops.
Is a jacket, helmet, boots and gloves not enough? If you
own a race suit have to wear it? ???
My post was a bit of seriousness, and a bit of razzing. I was just in a smart ass mood. If the suit is a bit tight, than thats fine, But if it's cutting off circulation than thats not. The point I was trying to get across is that just cause it's a bit tight, and might show the spare tire a bit, and you won't wear it because of that, than it's a bit rediculous. Bit if it's tight to the point of severe discomfort/loss of circulation, than thats not good. A suit is susposed to fit a little snug, But not that snug ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a Kobe back protector

The only time I use it though is when I am tearing up the mountains on my SVS. For everyday commuting and tooling around I just rely on the built in foam stuff in my jackets

·
Registered
375 Posts
My jacket, an Olympia MotoSports Mustang jacket, came with elbow, shoulder, and back protection. Most of the motorcycle riding jackets you see in catalogues do. Mine is a flexible rubbery material similar to the elbow and shoulder CE approved armor in the jacket. I doubt that it's as protective as the ones sold separately, but as far as comfort goes, I don't even realize it's there, so it will stay. Better to err on the safe side. ;) Ninjamon

R

·
0 Posts
HypnoToad said:
i was looking at the icon chest and back armor,didnt look bad goes unneath ur jacket,for $90
That's what I just got. I don't have much faith in Icon, but for the 80 bucks CDN I paid, I know it's far better than the foam inside my jacket.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm newer than most to the sport so I'm looking for information. For commuting and touring, is the padding in an average jacket a waste of space, or are back protectors something reserved for track use? What are the facts?

E

R

·
0 Posts
I think the foam stuff is good enough for commuting, etc. 99 per cent of my riding is commuting and dicking around in the country.

I got the armor for my spirited riding, longer-trips and anything where I have the extra time to strap on the armor.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
^ Yup, that's the one. I got mine from a local guy selling his. Fits nicely under my jacket, or on a super hot day where I couldn't wear a jacket, I'll be wearing this so at least I have something on. (Yes, I am a heathen who will sacrifice the protection of a jacket in exchange for comfort in the city!)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
To complement your 'hot day' outfit, get some elbow protect and don't leave home without the gloves ;)

R

·
0 Posts
^
Yeah, I've got a few pairs of gloves to choose between, and I'm trying to find some knee pads as well. I don't want road-rash alll over my ass, but I figure if I pass out from a heat stroke, I'm going down for sure...and given that I ride to my office job where I see the public a lot, I can't be covered in sweat and smell like ass when I get to work.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts