Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
I’m buying a 2006 500R this weekend but one of the issues is it needs a carb cleaning. It’s going be my first bike so I’m not sure if that is a bad sign and not get it. Is it a easy fix or no? The guy says he has replaced the starter, battery, clutch, and couple other things with a clean title.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey
I’m buying a 2006 500R this weekend but one of the issues is it needs a carb cleaning. It’s going be my first bike so I’m not sure if that is a bad sign and not get it. Is it a easy fix or no? The guy says he has replaced the starter, battery, clutch, and
Most bikes need the carbs cleaned and gone through, especially after sitting.

@ducatiman is the resident expert here and worst case you can send your carbs to him and they come back like brand new.

thanks another question I have would you happen to know if the carburetor is a single, dual, or quad?

·
Super Moderator
14,705 Posts
EX500 employs 2 carbs, 1 for each cylinder. Tricky little buggers, to provide a precise metered amount of air/fuel as required by throttle opening and intake vacuum velocity. Suggest you do some moseying around the Carburetor forum section.
76-2.jpg

129 Posts
if this is your 1st bike (and 1st carb clean) be aware you'll likely be doing these more than 1x. Correct tools and equipment, experience based methods, adequate workspace, compressed air minimum required. The old "squatting in the driveway using toothbrush and spray carb clean" ain't gonna cut it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The bike is my profile pic if it helps
Like everything, it all depends on price.

The bike has no fairings, so is this a pure styling exercise, or was it crashed and the fairings dumped because of extensive damage?

What is the mileage? A new starter and new clutch sound good, but these items only typically need replacing because of either high mileage or abuse.

All things to consider before handing over dollars....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Not to mention where you are located would change what is considered a good price. I was trying to look and see... Is that a Maine license plate in the background?? (If so I and at least one more member are just south of you in NH)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Did you end up buying it OP? How many miles does it have?
I'm guessing NO. He popped on 3 days ago with 3 posts....nothing since. We either scared him about the bike (legitimately) or he didn't like it in person.

·
Super Moderator
14,705 Posts
enforces the old concept "sometimes the truth hurts", eh?

Folks often post problems looking for the "easy fix", then disappear when members post realities (a fix, but not the "easy fix" the poster was looking for)

·
Registered
22 Posts
FWIW, I used the ideas from this YouTube video for "basic" carb cleaning and found it to be accurate and easy to follow, even though it is for the EX250. Some here may insist on a complete overhaul, but mine did not look too bad when I got into them. Time will tell if that was the proper approach. I purchased a basic carb kit and did not use it. First time into carbs outside of working on my lawnmowers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts