Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to sort vacuum-tank routing, for a CUSTOM tank I'm building. 95 EX500, I have two vacuum lines near the coolant overflow bottle, going to the small vacuum diaphragm next to/below the coolant bottle. One of those loose vac lines coming off the TOP of diaphragm and one line coming out the lower SIDE. I wanted to cap one of those loose lines(or leave it open to atmosphere?) and use the other as a "air supply" line letting air IN to my custom fuel tank when engine runs (the tank will use an air-inlet vac line not an air inlet on the gas cap) .. [and diaphragm should shut off air supply when engine isn't running, right]. Sorry, does that make sense, is it possible that way? Which line should I end up using, off the top or lower side of diaphragm?

Building a bike for a buddy, new motorcycle rider. Fixing this EX500 that was in a front-end wreck and had bent front forks and wheel. Gas tank started out from a 96 Honda CBR900. Front fairing for headlights/windscreen/mirrors come from a 92 CBR900 with the dual round 5.5" headlights. I think it could turn out pretty cool looking, still a ton of work left.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I guess mine is a cali-spec bike.

So can I use those vacuum lines then.. anybody tell me which one? (and leave the 2nd open vented to atmosphere?)

·
Registered
117 Posts
They're not vacuum lines. They go to a charcoal canister that deals with the gas vapours. Pretty certain it's a one in and one out routing. My bike came with it already removed so my experience is limited to dealing with the problems caused by its removal.
If you require a vacuum operated line that operates when the engine is running simply use one of the vacuum connections from the carbs. The left hand carb has the vacuum line to operate the petcock, the right hand carb uses the vacuum port to operate the PAIR system which you might as well remove anyway which will leave you a vacuum port that can either be used or blanked off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe we're misunderstanding slightly.
I think the line I'm looking for IS a charcoal canister line. This will allow air to enter the fuel tank as needed while running. The line it connects to on the tank side IS exposed to the tank vapors.. and that's the point of the charcoal canister system on vehicles that have it.. [to trap gas vapors from the fuel tank and engine crankcase.. maybe allowing for some re-burn through the air intake system but mostly preventing gas vapors from venting to open atmosphere.]

If it's one line in and one line out I guess I'll try to do some testing and/or see if it works one way, switch if I need to it's a 50/50 chance right

1 - 5 of 5 Posts