Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,105 Posts
carb synch directly thereafter.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,105 Posts
using pro manometer it should run mint if all else is good (plugs/ wires, air filter, fuel, carb setup)

Tire Wheel Hood Bicycle tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
371 Posts
like above sed, o-rings on coolant pipes are a must. If your valve cover gasket is stuck on the head, leave it, remove the valve cover for your service. When you go to re-install it, its an easier option than removing the gasket from the head. You can just sort of float on your valve cover into the grooves and you don't have to mess with the half moons. Just take your time and enjoy the experience, its a cinch to work on.

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,887 Posts
My 2¢,

More advice, get a new valve cover gasket, and the other 6 for the valve cover bolts.

These are all rubber, and given the age of the bike, they probably won't seal properly, and leak. Causing much frustration, and lost riding time.

I'm a firm believer in if you're in the neighborhood, just do it now.

Product Font Parallel Diagram Pattern

Rectangle Line Font Parallel Pattern

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Font

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
My 2¢,

More advice, get a new valve cover gasket, and the other 6 for the valve cover bolts.

These are all rubber, and given the age of the bike, they probably won't seal properly, and leak. Causing much frustration, and lost riding time.

I'm a firm believer in if you're in the neighborhood, just do it now.

View attachment 56226

View attachment 56227

View attachment 56228
When you pull the valve cover, make sure the two dowel tubes are accounted for. They like to fall down the timing chain valley and get lodged between the gear and the chain when you try to turn the engine over afterwards.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks guys. Very useful as I have never done this maintenance before.
I, too, did the valve adjustment over the winter on my 2009 with about 7700 miles. I had not done a valve adjustment on anything before so spent lots of time reading before diving in. I found the Wiki article extremely useful and took my laptop to the garage to go step by step.

My only issue was that I could not for the life of me actually get the valve cover out of the frame. I was hoping it would come out smoothly as I do not have the PAIR system installed and also do not have coils as I switched to a COP system last year. I did not want to take the throttle cables off, so removing them may have been the key. Either way I was able to able to angle the cover out of the way on the opposite side that I was working on, so it was kind of a non-issue.

I did find that Motion Pro makes a feeler gauge (PN 08-0394) that is .006" on one end and .008" on the other, so perfectly in the middle for the two measurements for these bikes. I was glad I ordered that one because I was not able to find a set of feeler gauges locally that either a; had a .006" gauge or b; were physically small enough to squeeze in the limited space of a motorcycle head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts