Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried adjusting my valves for the first time, regretting it as it now runs worse.

·
Super Moderator
6,197 Posts
@xP. What's worse about it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@xP. What's worse about it?
I'm certain I over-tightened them; valves/engine (not sure which) ping for a second when giving it throttle in neutral, more so when accelerating from a stop. I also had to reuse some old rubber tubing because I tore the gas line. It's very thin and pliable, and easily kinks, so I randomly run out of gas at idle.

I'm bummed, but it was the first time I've ever seen under a valve cover in real life so it's kind of expected, lol. Gonna give it another shot tomorrow.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm certain I over-tightened them; valves/engine (not sure which) ping for a second when giving it throttle in neutral, more so when accelerating from a stop. I also had to reuse some old rubber tubing because I tore the gas line. It's very thin and pliable, and easily kinks, so I randomly run out of gas at idle.

I'm bummed, but it was the first time I've ever seen under a valve cover in real life so it's kind of expected, lol. Gonna give it another shot tomorrow.
It's better to be slightly loose (more clearance between valve and rocker arm) than slightly tight. Unless they are really loose, about the worst thing that will happen is they will sound noisy.

Be sure to measure the clearance again after tightening the nut on the rocker arm. Sometimes, a perfectly measured clearance will go tight after the nut is tightened.

·
Registered
823 Posts

Patience is key!!!
I did my first-ever valve adjustment on my old EX500. Didn't get it right the first...or the second time! I finally figured it out and got the EX running like a top!

Again, be patient, ask questions, take picture or even videos and post them on here when you get in a jam. Chances are it's something simple you're missing, over/under adjusting, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I tried adjusting my valves pt. 2: same problems, pinging when opening throttle near idle, 1.2-1.5k rpm, under no load and erratic idle speed (and randomly dies at around 1.5k rpm). For now, I have my idle speed set to 2k which seems to mask the problems. I feel like I adjust the valves correctly -- very slight drag with ideal feeler but the next size doesn't fit, intake at 0.007in, exhaust at 0.009in.
Thank you the two who responded to my previous reply, but I apparently need more help haha.

Another issue: I can't seem to get my coolant to circulate. The temperature gauge worked just fine before my first attempt two days ago. After running the bike for around 15 mins, 2 mins with radiator cap and reservoir cap off, the needle hasn't moved past the slightly lifted starting position and, obviously, no liquid has moved from the reservoir.

·
Super Moderator
6,197 Posts
Coolant doesn't leave the reservoir until the bike is in the cooling down stage (parked, engine off).

·
Super Moderator
6,197 Posts
Would you happen to know where the valves were set at before the adjustment? If they were tight before the adjustment and then you opened some of them up, it's not unheard of that the engine may make a noticeable tapping sound. This would be fine.

I would get a new fuel line also. Sounds like the one you have may be a bit long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@xP.
I went ahead and started a new thread for you. It could possibly get confusing later with the posts left in the other thread. Plus you may get more input here.
Thank you so much!
Would you happen to know where the valves were set at before the adjustment? If they were tight before the adjustment and then you opened some of them up, it's not unheard of that the engine may make a noticeable tapping sound. This would be fine.

I would get a new fuel line also. Sounds like the one you have may be a bit long.
It would have been smart of me to write them down, but I did not. If anything, I have them tighter than before.
Also, I just read through your valve maintenance guide and have realized that I did not keep track of the knock pins and will be looking for them tomorrow. Are they magnetic?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Super Moderator
6,197 Posts
Good catch on the feeler gauges. Those pins are magnetic. Also check the work area around the bike, the pin(s) may have fallen out outside the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pardon my French but what is a magnetic knock pin. not familiar with that term. just asking. :)
From BPE's "Valve Adjustment" guide,

These little metal dowels that, I assume, aid in aligning the valve cover.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Ah. the locating dowels. thought it was something only fitted to US bikes. like running lights and cali pair systems.

got a quick trick for those puppies. take them out squeeze one end into a oval pop some locktite on the squeezed end tap that end into the valve cover. will never need to bother with them ever again their not coming out again ever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Valves were adjust to around 0.007" intake, 0.009" exhaust. All seems well, the issues of pinging at low rpm and low load, erratic idle, and random dying seem to have gone away.
Took a test-ride and still acts differently than before. I need to give a little more throttle to accelerate from a stop and the starter cannot start the bike, even while hot, without choke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah. the locating dowels. thought it was something only fitted to US bikes. like running lights and cali pair systems.

got a quick trick for those puppies. take them out squeeze one end into a oval pop some locktite on the squeezed end tap that end into the valve cover. will never need to bother with them ever again their not coming out again ever.
Thanks! Mine were fairly secure in the cover, even with some nudging and shaking.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Were the carbs synchronized after valve adjustment? If not that probably part of the issue

1 - 17 of 17 Posts