Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 had the left side valve cover gasket "pulled in" between the cams when I got it. I siliconed the gap and rode it without problems until recently. Now the right side gasket is pulled in between the cams. I suspect a crankcase vent is clogged but where? I'll have the tank off soon for repainting but I need to know where to look for trouble in this regard.

·
Registered
496 Posts
only time (on a car) i've seen that is from over-tightening. I dont know on the motorcycle side tho..

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Just put a dab of RTV in the bottom of the curve that will hold it. No it did not get sucked in, but poked in.

FOG

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the same issue. Forgive my ignorance but what is RTV?

Mike

·
Super Moderator
14,957 Posts
Moochie65 said:

Mike
hi temp adhesive/sealant get at your local auto parts store

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Moochie65 said:

Mike
Room temperature vulcanizing silicone. Not the same as hi temp silicone.
RTV silicone will not coat sensors.
... seeing how an EX doesn't have any sensors to coat....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I have an '07 with only 2600 miles on it that seems to have the same issue that you have. I just figured that this is normal, since it is new. What do you think? ???

·
Super Moderator
14,957 Posts
guys -

dataquest, no its not normal. wait till 1st valve service to correct (if its not leaking terribly) and read below.if it disturbs you and you want to correct it prior, why not?

the valve cover has a surface slot all the way around, except for circular cam plug area. the gasket has a mating ridge and kind of "snaps in " to the cover. . IMHO- the way to go here is either RTV or hi-temp silicone just to tack the gasket into the valve cover (the ridge into the slot) , positively "locating" it properly. this way, as valve cover is inverted for installation, the gasket does not fall out of the ridge and get installed out of position...thereby preventing leakage. ;)

so you're using the sealant (in this case) as an *adhesive* to hold the gasket in its correct place. would also help prevent "poking in" as well, i'd guess. ::)

needless to say, in doing this procedure both surfaces should be oil free and sprayed with contact cleaner and dried prior to applying adhesive/sealant. ;)

hey, we got it easy today. back in the mid to late '70s, the gaskets were paper and had to be scraped clean with a razor over the whole surface area of the valve cover AND its mating surface on the head.
the circular "cam caps" were seperate pieces and required sealant. if you didn't scrape properly, they LEAKED like pigs and you got to do a do-over. what a PIA. ask your dads about Z1's, XS11 's and honda 750's. mention this subject and i'll bet they'll end up cussin and swearin, just like me. ;D

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Mine would rather tell me that the Honda 350 was the pinnacle of Motorcycle advancement. Oh, and that british bikes "weren't all that unreliable". :p

To everyone with the problem of dipped in head cover gasket: if it's not dripping oil I'd leave it. Hell, even a properly "sealed" and torqued gasket will still dribble. I've never owned a bike that didn't have damp spots around that gasket.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was checking out my bike today while trying to figure out whiy i have no spark... I have this same probnlem. What causes this? I know for sure, that the gastkey wast pushed in? Mines done this on both sides.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey everybody make sure that you are not referring to the gap between the intake and exhaust portion of the valve cover. In that location, in line with the spark plug wells, the gasket tab can and does hang loose since there is nothing to seal. The half circle sections on the gasket at the ends of the cam shafts can be held with RTV per FOG's post above. I personally add a little at the corners and in the middle of the long straight section on the exhaust side too. If properly torqued and sealed it WON'T dribble oil or have damp spots.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I checked my valves last weekend, I checked out this gasket that we are referring to and, like what Mad Matt says, it is nothing to be concerned with, because there is nothing to seal there. I guess Kawasaki just decided to make a single peice of rubber instead of making two separate pieces that would more easily get out of alignment when trying to close the valve cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts