Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally got my bike to idle on its own (without the choke), the pilot jets were plugged, I soaked them both in carb cleaner overnight and the one cleaned out with compressed air, the other ... well the compressed air didnt quite cut it, so i dipped it in carb cleaner and lit it on fire with a torch, that got it out haha, anyway, got it to idle on its own, idles a little above a grand, it seems to rev pretty smooth, but its really noisy, almost like a valve knock or something, I took a video of it and posted it on youtube to see if you guys thought this sounded normal or a little fishy, i just adjusted the valve clearance, cleaned the carbs and replaced the air filter , i do still have a ripped diaphram and my floats are out of adjustment or a gasket is leaking because both carbs leak fuel, but i dont think that any of this would cause the noise, take a listen adn let me know if i have something to worry about or not haha
thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMdsnm58cJo

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Well if you adjusted the valves with the same care that you cleaned the carbs with I would suspect your adjustment to be amiss.

FOG

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the carbs are about as clean as they can be, i just threw them back together quick to see whether or not the pilot jets were the problem with the idle, i took my time on the valve clearance because i dont want to buy too many of those 35 dollar valve cover gaskets, the cam lobes looked good with no pitting in them, i didnt have the right sized micrometer to check whether or not they were within they're wear limit or not but they seemed to make good contact with the rocker arms, so in regards to your response I take it that it sounds really bad?

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
If your sure you have the clearances correct the noise might be normal. You don't need to ever replace the cam cover gasket. do not use any sealant on rubber gaskets. you can stick it to the cover with some RTV.

FOG

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright cool i'll get my carb issues straightened out (diaphram, and fuel level) and see how she runs from there, what kind of performance issues should I keep an eye out for to tell whether or not i do have a valve issue?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
both exhaust pipes were hot, and there was pretty good pressure coming out of both exhaust pipes, not sure if either of those confirm it running on both cylinders or not, any positive ways to make sure that its running on both? I'll let it idle for a little bit tommorrow and pull the plugs and see if i got a wet one, thats the only other method i know to check

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'll have to try pulling the plug boots tmmw, thanks for the help guys, and as for the tomahawk, i've got a V10 in my pickup, so i could probably just bolt that into the ex frame and that'd be sort of like a tomahawk haha

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
mycat8urskidoo said:
i'll have to try pulling the plug boots tmmw, thanks for the help guys, and as for the tomahawk, i've got a V10 in my pickup, so i could probably just bolt that into the ex frame and that'd be sort of like a tomahawk haha
While you have the plug boot off take them apart (they unscrewq from the wire) and toroughlly clean the insides. then snip 1/4" off the wire ends before re assembly. clean these boots every time you wash the bike.

FOG

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the help everyone, didnt get a chance to try anything because the last few days were in the 30's and snowing, and it looks like it'll be like that for another week or so, so im going to hold off till its nice out in the garage, damn ohio weather

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's just the lovely noise it makes. I had just ripped mine apart to check the valves springs head ext, becaues of the same kind tic. anyway laped the valves and put er back together lesson learned. But u still need proper valve adjustment.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
What year is your bike? if it's a pre 94. Go get a post 94 cam chain tensioner. Those early ones were/are junk.

Ron ayers P/N 12048-1141 $67.76

A general note to all if you running a pre 94 engine with one of the old style tensioners. scrap it Immediately or sooner .

FOG

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll go ahead and order one next week, you've been dead on about everything else i've asked, so i'd be dumb not to order one, is this an easy replacement? while i've got the valve cover off i'll triple check my valve adjustments, anything else i should replace while i've got the cover off again?
thanks again FOG

·
Registered
11 Posts
What is the difference is tensioners? I am not sure if mine has had the upgrade? Mine has the spring loaded type that u can lossen the center bolt and the spring comes out. ???

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
The new design is a ratchet that is much more positive than the older one. If your spring and rod come out from the center bolt . you have the new design. BTW that doesn't release the cam chain tension . the ratchet still holds. to re set it you must remove the Other two screws and release the ratchat lock by hand. But don't. What ever possessed you to remove the center screw in the first place?

FOG

·
Registered
417 Posts
mycat8urskidoo said:
well i finally got my bike to idle on its own (without the choke), the pilot jets were plugged, I soaked them both in carb cleaner overnight and the one cleaned out with compressed air, the other ... well the compressed air didnt quite cut it, so i dipped it in carb cleaner and lit it on fire with a torch, that got it out haha, anyway, got it to idle on its own, idles a little above a grand, it seems to rev pretty smooth, but its really noisy, almost like a valve knock or something, I took a video of it and posted it on youtube to see if you guys thought this sounded normal or a little fishy, i just adjusted the valve clearance, cleaned the carbs and replaced the air filter , i do still have a ripped diaphram and my floats are out of adjustment or a gasket is leaking because both carbs leak fuel, but i dont think that any of this would cause the noise, take a listen adn let me know if i have something to worry about or not haha
thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMdsnm58cJo

YA mine was doing tht also, I adjusted the valves yesterday hope it fixes the problem. I will soo find out in a few hours I ahve togo to the shop an work on it now, bye. ;)

·
Registered
417 Posts
[/color] OK well just got back from the shop, an mine is makeing the same noise it is not the valves an not the vacuum, or the carbs it is all cleaned on mine, so ya it is only running on one cylinder I am getting really mad at my bike it is crazy. but I am going to put new plugs in a hope that might fix it, but if not I hope from some advise. But if you find out what is wrong with your please do post it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i got mine running on both cylinders, not sure how, i just went through the carbs for a 100th time haha, but it still makes that horrendus ticking sound, its kind of embarassing, but from what it sounds like theres a few people with a sewing machine under the gas tank

1 - 20 of 26 Posts