Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't normally post here as the search button answers most of my questions (we have a search button ??? )

A friend of mine gave me a Vance & Hines exhaust. It had been sitting in his garage for about a decade. I restored the pipe and repacked it with stainless steel wool. From what I was told it is a race pipe and not intended for street use but who knows. The exhaust sounds great and is not excessively loud for a "race pipe". The V&H website is less the helpful and it obviously I have no instructions.

Apparently I will not be able to use the lower cowling... I am probably going to modify the cowling to clear the pipe. Does anyone have any experience with the V&H pipe?

·
Registered
722 Posts
you can modify the lower to make it fit, can't tell you how cuz mine was on it when I bought it, however I do not have a centerstand. Try to put it back on and see if it does work.

oh and all aftermarket pipes will have the disclaimer of "for off-road use only".

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
i have a vance and hines. the lower cowling will fit with a bit of dremel work... not too bad.

i have a centerstand too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If your bud had that lying around for so long i would expect it didnt come with the center stand bracket like the new ones do. Depending on the year, might wanna call up V&H and see if you can get one from them. Thats my big project this weekend is puttingit back on along with the fairing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CerialPhreak said:
If your bud had that lying around for so long i would expect it didnt come with the center stand bracket like the new ones do. Depending on the year, might wanna call up V&H and see if you can get one from them. Thats my big project this weekend is puttingit back on along with the fairing.
No center stand. It only came with the head pipe, mid pipe, and can. It didn't even come with the springs that hold the mid pipe the the head pipe. That's ok because it was fun to restore the exhaust. I painted it ultra flat black and sanded out the aluminum can with 2000 grit. Most of the fiberglass blanket was gone once I opened the can; either burned out or rotted away. Who knows it had sat inside a garage since the early years of the Clinton administration. I repacked it with OOOO steel wool so it should never burn out.

The bike it originally was on was a very early EX500 so no help on the fairing there...

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
I repacked it with OOOO steel wool so it should never burn out.

Actuallu steel wool will burn out far faster than Glass.

FOG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FOG said:
I repacked it with OOOO steel wool so it should never burn out.

Actuallu steel wool will burn out far faster than Glass.

FOG
How so?

And if it does I'll just repack it. No big deal.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
oxidisation will be hastened by the temperature inside the exhausts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Frog said:
oxidisation will be hastened by the temperature inside the exhausts
Oh I'm sorry it was STAINLESS steel. Not regular steel. I realize I forgot to add that little word previously.. That should make the difference in longevity

1 - 12 of 12 Posts