Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Since my introduction I purchased a 2005 ex-500 and it has been incredible! Today however I noticed a vibrating noise comming from the front of the bike when I hit 5k rpm. I cannot tell if it actually goes away once I pass 5 or if it is just too noisy to hear. Also, when I pull the clutch in the noise goes away, so I doubt it's somethign in the engine. I would assume it is something fairly minor but I'm just to sure what...any ideas?

THanks!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I had the same issue until I converted my bike to streetfighter..

It's the plastics vibrating against each other.

Weather stirping is supposed to fix this or jamming a peice of rubber between the parts to prevent the vibration.

Try pressing on different parts of the fairing and tank to identify which parts are vibrating :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had the same problem until i installed sarachus. problem solved. ;D

·
Registered
25 Posts
The problem is the LOWER front fairing (cowling). At 5k rpm it vibrates against the radiator. Put a cut out piece of rubber tubing in-between the fairing and the radiator bracket. NO MORE NOISE!

-Gagi

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm sounds like an extensive job which would require me to take a day off work....but if it turns out to be pretty quick I guess I could go riding all day ;)

Thanks all!

·
Registered
440 Posts
The emissions reed valves seemed to hit a harmonic right at 4900 rpm until I yanked them. Rev the bike while standing next to it. Put your hand on the lower cowling or take it off if you like. That should isolate the problem. I thought it was the cowling too until I head the noise with the damn thing off and went WTF? Make no mistake the plastics do vibrate but in some cases that's not everything. BTW I have an '05 too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine is an 05 and it took only 1 minut to pop a short bit of cut tubing between the cowling and radiator.

I think kawi just effed up cowling mounting on 05 bikes.

What and where are those emission reeds?

-Gagi

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No luck. I removed the lower cowling and went for a ride and the noise was still there.... I found one part of the upper fairing that I suspected might be vibrating so i put some weather stripping in there but again, at 5000 rpm this annoying little buzz begins. It sounds to me like it is comming from the right front side. Any more suggestions?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try removing the plastic instrument panel cover and going for a ride. I added rubber washers behind that cover and it seems to have lessened the noise around 4.5k rpm on my bike.

·
Registered
308 Posts
were are yall putting this peice of cut tube? along the top near the rad? i was changing my oil and i have the same buzzing noise. so with the cowling off it wasnt making the noise so i know thats the culprit.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
flipped_dimension said:
No luck. I removed the lower cowling and went for a ride and the noise was still there.... I found one part of the upper fairing that I suspected might be vibrating so i put some weather stripping in there but again, at 5000 rpm this annoying little buzz begins. It sounds to me like it is comming from the right front side. Any more suggestions?
could it be your upper fairing vibrating against your coolant tank ?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oddly enough it seems to be gone (or at least very faint) now. I'm not sure what "fixed" it. I hear another noise now though. It sounds like the front disc brake rubbing ever so slightly when I roll the bike forwards and back, and as I pick up speed it gets worse. Is that something that should be tended to immediatly?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
that's normal

You know what fixed my bike many noises ?

=>Ear Plugs

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good to know! Yeah I was thinking, if little noises like these are going to bother me I should invest in some racing pipes :p

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Try to invest 5$ in plugs first, after that, you won't care about what noises your bike makes ;)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Frog said:
Try to invest 5$ in plugs first, after that, you won't care about what noises your bike makes ;)
Might as well get the platinum plugs, & do the plug wire cleaning that FOG regularly suggests.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
hum, sorry teach, I think you missed one post here :)

Frog said:
that's normal

You know what fixed my bike many noises ?

=>Ear Plugs
That's the kind of plugs I was referring to ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts