Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which part of the vin tells the year of the bike?
my last four are 1881....would that be 81 or 88?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
they didnt make an EX500 in 81. 87 was the first year

the 10th digit tells you the year. the last 6 digits are the production number (the first bike is was 000000.)

post your whole VIN and ill tell you what year it is.

·
Registered
261 Posts
dragknee said:
other than that though, there should be a sticker on the steering head that has the date of manufacture.
And the date is probably they year prior to the model year. For example, mine's a 91 but was manufactured in 90.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the neck mine says 8/91
I'm new to sport bikes. This one hadn't been ridden in a long time.
needs work. does'nt idle quite right. sometimes when I come to a stop the bike stills revs at 4 or 5 g's blipping the throttle does'nt help. Don't know if the cables are hanging up somewhere under the tank. needs tires, front brake pads. Fairing is cracked. probably gonna leave it off and look for signals to mount to fork tubes.
Also need front brake lever, mine is bent but still works. Need a right rear turn signal too.So I got little project here. any suggestions you guys have or tips would be great. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sounds like a 92 then. As for the idle, maybe a choke problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
FOG said:
The bike needs to go pee pee?

;D

SORRY! Couldn't help myself. :)

What, FOG, does #1 mean? Are you referring to damarble's choke comment?

·
Registered
348 Posts
FOG won't explain because he has full confidence that suckers such as myself will take the time to explain it ourselves. #1 = Plugged pilot jets, in FOGish. And I hope you didn't pay more than a Muzzy for that bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well then I'm grateful for the suckers...i was afraid to ask what # 1 was.
Fog, do you have a list or sumpin??
So, the manufacture date of 8/91 actually makes mine a 92??
The SM he gave me with the bike is for 87 -91 I don't suppose it makes a big diff.
Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
no it doesnt, the bikes were basically unchanged from 87 until now. there were only a few minor changes after 94, but most of the stuff stayed the same.

as for the year, its kind of like cars... the new MODEL year comes out in the fall... for example, this fall, you will be able to buy a 2008 car, even though its still 2007.

look at your vin:

1991: JKAEXVA1-MA048001 and on
1992: JAKEXVA1-NA060001 and on

the 10th digit is the year. M = 91, N=92 etc

the - in the spot of the 9th digit, is because thats a check digit, and it will change based on the other numbers/letters in the VIN

·
Registered
348 Posts
What happens when they run out of letters?

·
Registered
261 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
What happens when they run out of letters?
Well it looks like 04 was Z, so what do the 05's have? I know there's a few 05 and up owners, post up. ;)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
the engine numbers changed like the first 3 years, then they just counted up IIRC... i dont have my book with me right now... ill check later when i get home.

as for when they run out of letters, they may move to numbers?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
or they could just change one of the other letters. usually spaces like five through seven or eight are reserved for option package ID and stuff like that...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts