Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So I was looking at these and Motorsport said these will fit. Does anybody know if they will work though? I don’t want to remove any fairings so would this be ideal?

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
just about anything but the stock stanchions will hit something .you will be sorry.

FOG

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just about anything but the stock stanchions will hit something .you will be sorry.

FOG
Yeah I was going through some old threads and saw that. I also came across some Woodcrafts. Are they any better. Will they be able to be mounted on top?

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Yeah I was going through some old threads and saw that. I also came across some Woodcrafts. Are they any better. Will they be able to be mounted on top?
I havent used wood crafts, I have cheap ebay sht, I can tell you that fitment and quality will most definitely suffer in comparison, if I could have the woodcraft ones, I would.

If i can give 3c on what I've learned, using cheaper parts w no Brand name almost inevitably means spending more money down the road.
Perches, mirrors, handlebars, headlight bulbs and assemblies, foot pegs, brake master cylinders, etc. There is something always inherently poor about them.

Theres a couple of style that wood craft makes with one "riser" type that I believe fit the bike without removing the fairings.

I can't imagine anything being able to be "clip on" style below the top triple able to keep front fairing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havent used wood crafts, I have cheap ebay sht, I can tell you that fitment and quality will most definitely suffer in comparison, if I could have the woodcraft ones, I would.

If i can give 3c on what I've learned, using cheaper parts w no Brand name almost inevitably means spending more money down the road.
Perches, mirrors, handlebars, headlight bulbs and assemblies, foot pegs, brake master cylinders, etc. There is something always inherently poor about them.

Theres a couple of style that wood craft makes with one "riser" type that I believe fit the bike without removing the fairings.

I can't imagine anything being able to be "clip on" style below the top triple able to keep front fairing.
That’s nice to know, the cheap versions vs the name brand ones that is. So yeah I definitely want to keep my faring. I bent my stock bar and so was thinking if I have to change the bar might as well get clip ons.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s nice to know, the cheap versions vs the name brand ones that is. So yeah I definitely want to keep my faring. I bent my stock bar and so was thinking if I have to change the bar might as well get clip ons.
So if going above the triple is the way to go in order to save faring. I will see what styles Woodcraft offer that will complement that. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Clips ons make it too close. Youd have a buttload of other mods in hand to make with it, the look will surely suffer without the fairing. Clip ons cut too close on full lock.
Comfort on rides will suffer going lower. Dramatically. Wind buffer and chill. It's almost not worth it.
Automotive tire Tire Fuel tank Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clips ons make it too close. Youd have a buttload of other mods in hand to make with it, the look will surely suffer without the fairing. Clip ons cut too close on full lock.
Comfort on rides will suffer going lower. Dramatically. Wind buffer and chill. It's almost not worth it.
View attachment 55057
Yeah, I believe I will stay above the triple or stay stock.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Just to be clear when I spoke on lowering we’re u referencing going under the triple or lowering the bike in order to go on top?
Simply going under the top triple clamp with clips ons will make a need to remove fairing.

Lowering the bike all together could allow you to place clip ons to the top of the forks, yes, but I couldn't not say this is a good idea as the EX doesnt have the most amazing clearance underneath and you would be changing the rake dramatically to get a solid good fit.
I couldn't recommend that either.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Simply going under the top triple clamp with clips ons will make a need to remove fairing.

Lowering the bike all together could allow you to place clip ons to the top of the forks, yes, but I couldn't not say this is a good idea as the EX doesnt have the most amazing clearance underneath and you would be changing the rake dramatically to get a solid good fit.
I couldn't recommend that either.
So you would rather just stay stock?

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
So you would rather just stay stock?
Complicated question.
The EX is a cheap POS, imo, its begging to be modified and made fun.
That being said, I went streetfighter so I could thrash my little canyon missile with cheap parts so I dont temper tantrum WHEN i fall.

I also fantasize about a flat track / Brat style EX. Comfy, rude, and image paired with the harsh sound of a megaphones ex pipe. Upright-ish.

For me, the bike is horribly ugly and the retail price tag is far too small for me to warrant about resale or purity. It's meant to had fun with.

I commute over 100 miles a day in LA, 405, 101, 5.
I hit canyons almost each weekend for at least a cruise.
And I hit a few car meets here and there.
I needed something that fit the bill for all of those in a way on budget.

Of course everything comes w a price tag and some elbow grease.
Hope that's inspiring or something idk haha

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Complicated question.
The EX is a cheap POS, imo, its begging to be modified and made fun.
That being said, I went streetfighter so I could thrash my little canyon missile with cheap parts so I dont temper tantrum WHEN i fall.

I also fantasize about a flat track / Brat style EX. Comfy, rude, and image paired with the harsh sound of a megaphones ex pipe. Upright-ish.

For me, the bike is horribly ugly and the retail price tag is far too small for me to warrant about resale or purity. It's meant to had fun with.

I commute over 100 miles a day in LA, 405, 101, 5.
I hit canyons almost each weekend for at least a cruise.
And I hit a few car meets here and there.
I needed something that fit the bill for all of those in a way on budget.

Of course everything comes w a price tag and some elbow grease.
Hope that's inspiring or something idk haha
😂😂😂 All of that was refreshing!!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hey, if I were going with the clips (on top) how would that process work as far as raising the forks?
I would search the forum deeply first and see results other have had from doing similar things. Theres a few conversations on "rake and trail" and fork geometry.

The process is pretty simple, release clamps, evenly move down or up (using support) , tighten clamps, but again, I wouldn't suggest this.
It may be better off getting getting a replacement stock one for now until you plan and budget your build. It can get quite hectic once in the mix.
But that's my opinion

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
I should have added Woodcrafts will work Eric (Wood) and I came up in racing together, on Exs .
he knows what’s what better than anybody.

Fog

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would search the forum deeply first and see results other have had from doing similar things. Theres a few conversations on "rake and trail" and fork geometry.

The process is pretty simple, release clamps, evenly move down or up (using support) , tighten clamps, but again, I wouldn't suggest this.
It may be better off getting getting a replacement stock one for now until you plan and budget your build. It can get quite hectic once in the mix.
But that's my opinion
And I very much appreciate your opinion. That’s why I asked.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts