Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm a new rider; 2 weeks ago I got my license after passing the cycle safety course, and last week I got my gear and bike. My first ride on a road and over 25 MPH was riding my new-to-me 2003 EX500R an hour home! :) So please bear with my newbie-ness and lack of correct terminology if I make a mistake...

Small problem - previous owner had installed a single D&D pipe (one pipe from the engine, not just the muffler part). It's loud, but not "cool loud". Plus, I don't even think I want "cool loud" - I have lots of older neighbors and want to be able to come & go at 5am or after midnight - did I mention I LOVE my bike?

So, are there any options to quiet down this thing? I like the fact that it's got a carbon cover that doesn't get hot, but if I can't mod it to be quieter I'm thinking I'll deal with factory pipes. I figure SOMEBODY would be willing to do an even swap and throw their labor in on the deal.

Thoughts from you more experienced folks? Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
can't you repack the muffler so it (lol, pun) muffles the muffler? but yeah, stock exhausts are nice to... except that they are heavy, but who cares

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
My pipes are junk (rusty, gutted, et. al) or I'd be interested, but if you are looking to swap someone you should hit the wanted forums. Also, let everyone know what city and/or state you're in, might make for more local offers.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in central PA.

I don't get why people (like the P.O.) don't keep the stock pipes & centerstand when they change these things out...

Anyway, more info: I don't want to ship because I don't want to be without the bike for a few days - unless someone's got a spare bike or something and is willing to ship first and wait til I swap & send back. I'm also busy enough (training for a few triathlons & a marathon in my spare time) that I don't want to ride too far. I'll drive up to 2 hours (max) to do a swap.

I'll want the centerstand as well as the stock pipes. I think I'll find someone amenable to that deal.

I rode with my Harley riding cousin today. Very cool. His bike is still louder... ;-) And I sure didn't mind the noise on the road in daytime. But going through town at 10pm was a different story - I want it quieter...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So one last question before I get serious about the (re-)swap: how much softer is repacking the D&D pipe likely to make it? That's the only advice D&D offered and I have no experience with these things, so before I go grinding rivets I'd like to get a general idea of how much difference it would make. I mean, if it'll still be much louder than stock I'll have gone through lots of hassle just to make the next owner of the pipe UN-pack it!

Any experiences?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey Jester, I can't say about the D&D but my Muzzy volume in now considerably lower since my repack. I found when I opened the can, half the packing was blown out. I repacked with silentsport to bring the noise down and it has worked but it is by no means quiet. BTW, drilling out rivits is no big deal, repacking is a very easy procedure.

If you really want quite, it is back to stock.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
exer said:
Just use a higher gear and lower rpm's.
I do, and it's not bad <4k. But I'd RATHER have it quiet AND have the throttle response I get around 5k, if I can...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts