Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. Having an issue with my bike (2001 EX500D ninja) not starting and sounding really strange when cranking followed by a knocking noise.

I warmed it up in the morning and everything seemed fine. I went to take off and very shortly after accelerating it dies on me and now won't start.
I have a short video of the sound it is making but I'm not quite sure how to post it here other than putting a link to youtube where I uploaded it.

Also since the problem has occurred I checked just a few things including making sure my spark plugs are sparking and going through the carbs and making sure there isnt anything super obvious like a missing jet or something since I did clean the carbs just about a month ago.

Any advice is super appreciated. I actually missed work today because of this so I'm hoping it's not a huge problem. Thanks.

TJ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: ive been tinkering on the bike all day attempting to start it here and there. One thing I've noticed just now is the knocking noise (see video above) is actually coming from my starter and I notice the starter jolt when that noise happens. So I'm going to check that out.

Update: took the starter out and took it apart. Didn't notice anything super out of the ordinary.

·
Super Moderator
14,689 Posts
noise....search starter clutch within the site, loose bolts quite common
reluctance to start...carb tuning issue? tight valves?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts