Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been desperately trying to resolve my horridible 38-45ish shake in the handlebars. I've consistently been told its an alignment issue, but I really think I have that taken care of. Could a warped rotor on the front wheel cause such issues? At low speeds the other evening, with my visor up for the first time, I noticed a consistant, rythmic catching noise coming from up front. Could this be causing such issues if it is indeed warped??

Thanks

Ashley

·
Registered
114 Posts
Possible, maybe, it does sound a lot like an alignment issue.

check to see if your rotor is bent, a dial indicator is best to check to see if something is out of round, however a known straight straight edge held flat across the rotor in various places should show if the rotor is indeed straight and true or out of round.

Have you gone through all the steps mentioned in FOG's how-to wheel alignment? You must do all the steps, exactly as outlined, no skipping stuff http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,148.0.html

Good luck.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Zio.. what tires you have on your bike... did you recently replace them?? I had the same shake.. and I installed a set of michelin pilots.. and had a shake.. since sent tire back to dealer and installed factory tire... shake gone... waiting on replacement tire

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Read and do the "String Thing"
in the FYI section.

FOG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'm thinking I might have something hear with the warped rotor idea. I tested it this afternoon. I got up to vibration speed, 45, then held the bars lightly with just my right hand, so the vibration became noticeable, then gently squeezed the front brake, and it instantly stopped. I tested this several times. Sound like a warped rotor??

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I'd follow FOG's advice on this, it might be cheaper for you to find out.

What you are describing is very similar to having the bike wheels slightly out of alignment. Hence the String thing reference, which cost nothing and might fix that issue you have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I haven't simply not heeded his advice. I have aligned the bike, and spent a considerable amount of time doing so very tediously. I'm quite convinced the bike is aligned properly.

Considering the problem ceases when the front brake is applied, does it not seem to fit my suspicions?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It fit both your suspicions and the possibility the bike is still not aligned perfectly :-\

·
Registered
114 Posts
Again, I ask you the following. If you're convinced it's the rotor, check it. If you don't, take it to a qualified mechanic and have them check it out for you. To resolve this issue shouldn't be more then an hour's worth of labour. If you're not sure and can't resolve this issue yourself, take it in now, this isn't a safe condition for you to be riding your bike in.

HooliganD said:
Possible, maybe, it does sound a lot like an alignment issue.

check to see if your rotor is bent, a dial indicator is best to check to see if something is out of round, however a known straight straight edge held flat across the rotor in various places should show if the rotor is indeed straight and true or out of round.

Have you gone through all the steps mentioned in FOG's how-to wheel alignment? You must do all the steps, exactly as outlined, no skipping stuff http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,148.0.html

Good luck.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
If it were the rotor, the vibes would be worse when it were applied. You may have loose steering head bearings. Did you check them?

FOG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I checked for roughness by turning the bars. Nothing there. And I tightened the top bolt. I guess I need to remove the top triple tree to actually check how tight they are?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If it is NOT alignment or the rotor or the tire, what's left?

Check rim for run out. Check steering head bearings. Check wheel bearings. Is the frame bent?
Are you out to lunch on suspension settings?

Hmmmmmm what else?????

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
ziominix said:
Well I checked for roughness by turning the bars. Nothing there. And I tightened the top bolt. I guess I need to remove the top triple tree to actually check how tight they are?
Put the bike on the center stand and prop the front wheel off the ground. The grasp the forks at the bottom and pus and pull them foward and back. Any movment or noise (clunk) is cause for concern. To adjust the bearings you need to loosen the top clamp nut (the chrome one) and adjust the notched on under the top triple clamp, BY HAND to FINGER TIGHT. Then lock the top nut. Recheck for loosness and also be sure your not too tight by letting the wheel flop to the side by it's self. If it won't you probably too tight. Take care to do this adjustment right, Your life depends on it.

FOG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts