Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding in the northern Ohio area and the recent warm up promted me to get out and ride! I was out for a few hours ago and right after dropping a friend off she got to watch me drop the bike right out of her driveway. Ouch.... I guess the damp drive wet the tires enough to pick up soon road grit as I entered the street and throttled up(too much it would seem) the rear kicked out like the tire had gone flat. I tried to correct but too little too late I Hi-sided and rolled into the ditch across the road. As far as I can tell the damage is only very minor cosmetics and a road rash kneecap and a few scratches on the helmet. I tattered the sleeve of my jacket a little but nothing major. The mirror had some rash as well as the corner of the front fairing, lower fairing(just paint scuff), turn signal, clutch leaver, bar end, and shifter arm. Bent the clutch and shifter back with a box wrench and popped the turn signal right back into the plastic, and rear adjusted the mirror. The bars seem straight and the bike rides fine. Lesson learned... I hope....

·
Registered
440 Posts
The closest I've come to dropping the EX was when I tried to stop in a pile of oil dry grit at a gas station. I was zooming up to the pump way too fast and used a little front brake to slow down so when the front wheel skidded and turned on me I was hurting. It's a good thing the EX is fairly light. Managed to spread my legs and just hold on tight to keep it up. My wife's Vulcan would have gone down.

I've had the back end wiggle on me accelerating out of low speed turn like you describe too but so far I've avoided nailing it hard enough lose it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Completely unexpected that it was going to kick out like that... Straightened up what was bent and was out for 2-3 hours today... It seems ok but I did shy away from the throttle a little more than I had in the last few days! Don't figure! The knee was definitely soar this morning but in still works...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know! One of the neighbors came running over to where i was and was yelling "Are you ok?" and all I could say was "F*ck me, Hows the bike!" lol I'll try to get some pics of her Monday or Tuesday and post them. The damage really ain't that bad.

S

·
0 Posts
I kept asking my friend about my bike (me laying on the grass not really able to move), and he kept saying "Stop thinking about the bike, I honestly didn't think you were going to be alive!" Apparently part of me hit a fence post :-\

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ Ouch... I just glad there wasn't any oncoming cars cause it tossed me right across the road. I travelled 10 to 15 ft out of the driveway rubberside down then I slide 10 to 20 feet down the road into the ditch and the bike slide at least 30 feet!

As the old adage goes...."When the horse throws you kick it in the teeth and get back on" or something like that! Personally I wanted to shake it off quick so I got on the bike, refired after checking for leaks and tested the steering going down the road a bit. I turned around got going 15 - 20 mph and rolled a quick wheelie just to make sure I still had my confidence...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
152 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
Checkout www.ride2die.com ,scroll to the bottom and there is a guy in the ER with a fence post stuck up his , well you'll see . All the pictures are real and very graphic .
I'm glad I went to that site. Makes me realize that I need practice and what my limitations really are. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
440 Posts
smithmax said:
I kept asking my friend about my bike (me laying on the grass not really able to move), and he kept saying "Stop thinking about the bike, I honestly didn't think you were going to be alive!" Apparently part of me hit a fence post :-\
LOL I had a bad plane crash out on a dry lake bed in CA and a structural piece below the seat broke. I'm laying in the wreckage (with a pounding headache = concussion) and the most important thing to me at that moment was trying to find out how hot that metal got when it bent and snapped. So I'm reaching around down there all disoriented trying to feel it when the first people get there and are telling me "OK Matt. Everything's fine down there." They thought I was doing a dick check! Which really made a lot more sense than what I was actually trying to accomplish.
So you can be pretty messed up and still worry about your ride.

I've seen that pic of the guy with the fence post rammed deep and it's horrible. If he had been on a sportbike he may have swallowed it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not the least scared to ride again but a little shy in corners for now! At least till it gets warmer out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts