Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
Just thought I would drop you all a line to let those who might be interested in the progress of my recently acquired Ex500 project bike. It was a write off that I picked up cheap and I 'm havin a hoot fixing and tinkering with the thing. Work done so far is as follows- extensive sandblasting and refinishing of rims,forks,triple clamps,handlebars,footpeg assemblies and exhaust. Rebuilding smashed upper fairing and tank, reupholsterd seat, fabricating a 2 into 1 exhaust using original header pipes and a can from a 636 and replaced fork seals.Tonight I just finished applying a couple of coats of custom Kawi green pearl on the front fender sidepanels and tail section and will be applying the decals and some clear coat tommorrow. I have been taking some pics of the process and will be putting together a quick website for those that might like to take a look. I have been combing over this site for a couple of weeks now and enjoying all of the posts and learning alot from your tech threads. I look forward to hooking up with some of the Ottawa riders when it's done.
Rod

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board !

Feel free to share your newly acquired knowledge and info. We love picts and if you have a ride, check the ride at the racetrack post in the Canadian section.

I will be there :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Roddy said:
Tonight I just finished applying a couple of coats of custom Kawi green pearl on the front fender sidepanels and tail section and will be applying the decals and some clear coat tommorrow.
I've heard mixed reviews of clear coating over decals. Some folks really recommend against it, but I haven't done it myself.

Enjoy the bike!! Sounds like a fun bit of work :)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
omninate said:
I've heard mixed reviews of clear coating over decals. Some folks really recommend against it, but I haven't done it myself.
Worst thing I've heard about it is when you don't use non-shrinking decals, clear them, and then they shrink. Haven't had much experience with it myself, though.

Sounds like a great project, I look forward to seeing the aftermath and the steps along the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts