Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
I have this problem with my gpz500s from 1988 where it idles really Strange and when i twist the throttle it dies. I have also i experienced that i just turns off while i'm driving and won't turn in again for a while. Sometimes it will run smooth as i should and then all of sudden it will start running weird again. I'm at a loss, any suggestions?

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,489 Posts
You probably need to clean/rebuild the carburetors. Try pulling the choke on while riding to see what happens (for diagnostic purposes).
As far as the bike shutting down:
If it acts like it's running out of gas, look into this>Servicing your gas cap

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,175 Posts
for a truly stable, reliable idle......assure valves have adequate clearance, carbs cleaned/properly synched and pilot screws set for highest/best idle with effortless reaction to throttle input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, i have done the fuel cap service and just been for a small drive. After 2 minutes of slow driving it started to act Up like in the video(i had not let it reach temperature), every time i twisted the throttle it turned off, it went on like this for about 5 min and then resumed to normal idle and throttle response. I drove it around for like 10 min with no issues, so maybe it is a cold problem? 🤔

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
220 Posts
So, have you investigated the flywheel?

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
220 Posts
I believe it's an electrical issue as the rpm Jump up & down in the dash
So... Have you checked your flywheel? It generates the power, creates the spark. Check it. You will be surprised if you have not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts