Votes: 0 0.0%
  • gears

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have an ex500 and i have a weird noise coming from the engine. it sound slike a slapping type noise above the gear shifter in the motor. it inst there when i am out of gear and the bike is idling. when i put the bike in gear and start to move it starts, and when you accelerate there is a noticeable jerky feel until about 7000 rmp then the bike takes off and you dont feel it anymore. it is mainly there when you are just cruising and there is kind of a clank noise from the motor when you are letting the bike slow down in the gears with no break. the sound to the best of my ability sounds a bit like this, ta tap ta tap ta tap, sounds almost like a chain in the motor is slapping or something, the bike has no power loss at all, runs fine when your not in gear but just does all this when you are in gear and moving. any ideas?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Probably referring to the chain that's driving the cams.

Which year is the bike ?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Maybe your chain is hitting your swingarm...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is a 2001 ex 500. ok i will try clarify where it is coming from. it is not the drive chain. the slapping sound is comming from inside the left side of the bike inside behind where the kawasaki word is on the thing that looks like a big flathead screw.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok you know where the front sprocket is? the part of the motor just in front of that is where the noise is coming from

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Is shifting smooth ?

How about clutching ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
shifting and clutching seems to be ok, is sounds like something is loose inside the motor, a chain or something, it runs kinda of jerky if you know what i mean. like when you give it gas it jerks back, when you let go of throttle it jerks forward but when you are at a steady speed it feels like something is catching and slipping, but the sound is not on the clutch side

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
open it up and take a look ;)

·
Registered
496 Posts
when i got my bike, the chain was very loose (around 2.5" of play, just nuts!) if i tried to ease on the throttle, it would jerk real hard, much the same when i let off the throttle. I got the chain to around 1" deflection, and the problem is gone..then noise...IDK. good luck.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
It won't cost anything to pull the front sprocket guard and inspect there. It still sounds much like a drive chain issue... the best you can tell on the net. :) Good luck.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Your probably hearing the primary drive chain slap. These have no adjustment and when stretched will make a slapping noise when the hit the rubber rub strip placed for that purpose.

FOG

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so if it is the primary drive chain that is slapping which is what i originally thought it was, then there is no way to make it stop the slapping noise unless i replace it correct? is it ok for it to be loose or do i need to get it replaced asap?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts