Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after almost 6 years with my old EX it was time for an upgrade. I'm keeping the good old EX for now. Honestly with as much money as I put into it during the rebuild it would be silly to try and sell it, and no one else is going to take care of the old girl like me. I know the many quirks of the bike.

I haven't been around much. I've had a lot going on the past couple of years, and riding time has been very limited. Weather is playing a giant factor this year, along with a blown fork seal on the 500 that I just don't feel like fixing at the moment. I will get to it eventually.

I also wanted something that I could take on longer hauls, not that you can't take the EX, I have taken mine a couple hours from home, and it's performed just fine. But I would like to be able to keep up with my cousins(FJR & Concourse) They go a bit slower on my count.

Lastly Hubby can ride this one too, so it's kind of for the both of us. He has his cruiser, but the new bike will be easier on his back.

For the newer faces that don't know my EX, you might recognize it in the banner.

The new addition 2003 Yamaha FZ1

Yes, my favorite color is blue, lol. All my bikes have been blue. Well the EX started out white, and I painted it blue. I'll get her registered tomorrow morning, and hopefully go for a little putter around the neighborhood to get used to the bike. I have ridden a few bigger bikes, (ZR7S, Bandit 1200) so it won't be first time anyway.

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
hey, K. Good to hear from you! And major congrats on the FJ! Real nice condition. I see its carbed.

Should be a rocket. Please post your impressions! (and be careful)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Duc! Hubby pointed out the fact that it's carbed before we went to look at it. Carbs don't scare me though. Yes they are a very precise piece of the operating puzzle, but as long as care is taken they work just fine, lol. I should have it registered and ready to go tomorrow morning, and it's supposed to be nice, so I'll let you know how the first ride goes.

K-woppa, I certainly shouldn't have any issues, lol. I'm a pretty reserved rider though, so if there is issues, it's me, not the bike! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
I'd still suggest the automatic use of Stabil 360 ethanol treatment, system cleaner and stabilizer all wrapped up in one. Just 1/2 oz per tank...every tank. The 360 based on their powerful Marine formula, uses their "vapor technology" too.

Doing everything possible to keep them pilot passages clean is prudent.

Lets hear about your ride on the blue rocket. Gonna be stupid fast...but you know better. :wink2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven't heard of 360. I'll have to check it out since my carbs are now nice and clean :D

My friend has a SV1000 and loves it. Have fun and be safe!

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
I haven't heard of 360. I'll have to check it out since my carbs are now nice and clean :D
And that they are. :wink2: IMHO 360 good stuff, Walmart has, o' course. Beware no sniffin' or huffin'...vapor technology. :surprise:

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
That's a great Yamaha and I love the colors! Glad you got it and I'm betting you're really going to enjoy it!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duc, I'll have to grab some of that the next time I'm at the store.(or use it as an excuse to ride the bike to the store, lol)

KeithM, I considered getting an SV, too, but there wasn't any for sale in my area. No biggie, I'm sure they are pretty similar.

Devilsfan, I love the blue myself. Something about a blue sport bike I just can't resist.

The verdict is in......I love the bike! It is worlds apart from the 500. I now know exactly what my cousin was talking about when he said it's easy to go fast. It really is, the bike picks up speed with barely touching the throttle. You literally don't have to touch the throttle to get going, start letting the clutch out, and away she goes. It's stops a ton better than the 500 too. It basically does everything better than the 500. Nothing wrong with the 500 though, I still love mine, and I intend on keeping it. It's still a great bike to romp around town on.

My helmet matches perfectly, lol.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Glad to see you're still around!
The EX is certainly good for what it is, but even though I love mine too and will never get rid of it, I'll eventually add a bigger displacement sport touring to the stable for longer trips.

I just hope that FZ1 is easier to work on than the the slightly newer Concours14. I've done a valve adjustment on a couple before and what a royal pain in the ass.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to see you're still around!
The EX is certainly good for what it is, but even though I love mine too and will never get rid of it, I'll eventually add a bigger displacement sport touring to the stable for longer trips.

I just hope that FZ1 is easier to work on than the the slightly newer Concours14. I've done a valve adjustment on a couple before and what a royal pain in the ass.

Yep I'm still around. Life happens, and I haven't been on the old EX too much. I didn't get it out much last year, but somehow blew a fork seal. I still need to fix it, just haven't gotten around to it yet. The EX certainly is very easy to work on, I'll find out in due time how the FZ1 is. My cousin has a Concours, and I can't imagine trying to do anything on that, lol. It's all fairing!

I put the stock mirrors and windscreen back on the bike. I didn't care much for the handlebar mirrors. I had to lean back a bit to see out of them at all. The stock ones are much better for me. I'm going to get a Zero Gravity touring windscreen for it sooner or later.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love sport touring bikes. I've been looking at the Tiger 800s. Next year maybe I'll expand the garage...

I kind of made the old EX into a sport tourer. I had it rather loaded up with bags as you can see in the pic at the top of the page. I put Schoolie's bar ends on it as well to try and help with the vibration. Now I have to start the same type thing with the FZ. I don't go super far, but I would like to take it out to the warplane museum I volunteer at on Saturdays. It's about an hour and a half away. I'm going to have to figure out how to mount up my Cortech bags on it. There isn't a whole lot of places to attach them to. Literally nothing under the tail, lol.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you can't find anything on eBay then look at the Givi's. They make brackets for soft saddlebags for your FZ1. Unless you can search the FZ forums and see what others have done, maybe some DIY brackets!

With a new bike comes new add-ons! :D $$$

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you can't find anything on eBay then look at the Givi's. They make brackets for soft saddlebags for your FZ1. Unless you can search the FZ forums and see what others have done, maybe some DIY brackets!

With a new bike comes new add-ons! :D $$$

I managed to get the Cortech bags on there. I am on the look out for a uesd Givi bracket and top case for now. Maybe down the road I'll just buy new stuff, but I don't need it right away. You are certainly right about new bike, new add-ons! I already ordered the sport touring windscreen!

·
Registered
234 Posts
@keyda81 garage beginning to look like a motorcycle shop. I can relate.

And darn clean that Yamahaha is.

My friend has a 2004 gen 1 FZ1 that he installed the Dale Walker stage 2 jetting on. This bike is seriously quick. I was always disappointed to see him in the mirrors of my Daytona 955i, no matter how much gas I gave the Triumph. As well as being quick, it was super mellow and comfortable to cruise on. Awesome bike!

I think I have a garage problem right now as well. It's a disgrace as it stands, and my weekend project is to remove everything, clean the garage interior, and then put things back in an orderly place.

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
my weekend project is to remove everything, clean the garage interior, and then put things back in an orderly place.
I need to do similar, in addition a 2nd coat of the Rustoleum grey epoxy paint. Did one coat years ago, good stuff. Still have a 2nd bag ready to go...this time no added sprinkle stuff on the floor! Looks cool but makes finding tiny dropped parts difficult to find. Light grey only on top coat this time.

Gotta wait for sunny, dry forecast on this...crap'll be sitting outside all day, even after an early start.

Sorry to derail thread, @keyda81

1 - 20 of 32 Posts