Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
K-woopa, Yep, it was that clean when I bought it. I know the guy took care of it, he lived on a dirt road, and the bike was still super clean. So he had to of cleaned it often. I just hit 10,000 miles on it today. So it wasn't ridden a ton either.

Devilsfan, Thanks! I'm going to get a black tank bag to replace the blue one, it looks out of place to me, and that way I have one on each bike, and don't have to swap them out.

Duc, Yea it is, lol. I'm already planning on buying one of those fancy plastic sheds from Sam's club this fall. I'm not sure when my Camaro will make it back home, but if it's this year I'm going to need the garage to store her in. So two of the bikes will be put in the back yard in a shed. It was either that or an extension on the garage, and hubby thinks that will be to expensive. Yamahaha was what I used to call Hubby's first bike a 1978 XS650. He had all kinds of trouble with it, lol.

Davenay67, My garage is usually a nightmare of a mess. I've cleaned it three times already this year though. Hubby just has WAY too much stuff and refuses to get rid of anything. But I suppose I can't complain, I do have two bikes, a 69 Z/28 and my 09 TrailBlazer. He's got the 08 Boulevard, and a 2014 F-150, lol. So I'll just shut up and keep cleaning the garage!

Duc, No problem! I might just use this time of year to work on the 500. She could use another better paint job. I won't mind her being in pieces as much since I have another bike to ride. I think I need to get the Camaro done first though. How is it we land up with so many projects, and never enough time to complete them?!

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
As you well know, @keyda81 an additional benefit of being a multi bike owner...one unexpectedly goes out of service, you've always got the other.
Enables, simplifies planned maintenance, upgrades requiring downtime as well....not loosing a moment of riding time in (an all too short to begin with) season.

Hey, even down to requiring a choice....which bike has more gas? Do I want to use the comfy or the sporty one today? Will I hit the twisties? Hmmm...the Honda provides a blast of warmth, the 900 not so much.....whats the temp?...which one?

All good choices. Motorbiking a great sport, innit? :grin2:

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Well after almost 6 years with my old EX it was time for an upgrade. I'm keeping the good old EX for now. Honestly with as much money as I put into it during the rebuild it would be silly to try and sell it, and no one else is going to take care of the old girl like me. I know the many quirks of the bike.

I haven't been around much. I've had a lot going on the past couple of years, and riding time has been very limited. Weather is playing a giant factor this year, along with a blown fork seal on the 500 that I just don't feel like fixing at the moment. I will get to it eventually.

I also wanted something that I could take on longer hauls, not that you can't take the EX, I have taken mine a couple hours from home, and it's performed just fine. But I would like to be able to keep up with my cousins(FJR & Concourse) They go a bit slower on my count.

Lastly Hubby can ride this one too, so it's kind of for the both of us. He has his cruiser, but the new bike will be easier on his back.

For the newer faces that don't know my EX, you might recognize it in the banner.

The new addition 2003 Yamaha FZ1

Yes, my favorite color is blue, lol. All my bikes have been blue. Well the EX started out white, and I painted it blue. I'll get her registered tomorrow morning, and hopefully go for a little putter around the neighborhood to get used to the bike. I have ridden a few bigger bikes, (ZR7S, Bandit 1200) so it won't be first time anyway.
Wow. Congrats on the new bike. Your EXs paint scheme is pretty cool. Glad to hear your still keeping it for now. I shouldn't have traded mine in.

That Yammi is very nice.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
00ninja, yea the old EX isn't going anywhere. She's worth far more just keeping her around as long as possible. Maybe even long enough for my kiddo to learn on it.

K-woopa, You ain't kidding! My biggest project that has gotten stalled. We've hit that hump of rust repair and sanding, that no one wants to do, lol. Need to get back on the ball soon though, I miss driving her.

·
Premium Member
3,767 Posts
Looks like Cranberry Red. I once painted a '66 GTO convertible that color. Did you say that's a Z/28? Like, a genuine '69 Z/28? If so you just went up four points on my scale.:grin2:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Looks like Cranberry Red. I once painted a '66 GTO convertible that color. Did you say that's a Z/28? Like, a genuine '69 Z/28? If so you just went up four points on my scale.:grin2:
Yes she is a genuine Z/28. Quick little story. My Dad bought the car August 21, 1981 when he was 26 years old, and I was like 7 months old. 26 years later when I was the age of 26 he gave me the car (August 21, 2007) 10 years later to the day he passed away. (August 21, 2017)So I have the car tattooed on my arm with his initials and birthday in the license plate (WAS 1355) and a quote from the Pink Floyd song "Wish you were here" "Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here."

Original engine and transmission are gone. She's got a 350 from my grandmothers 1974 Nova in her, and a Muncie 4spd. We were just supposed to be "sprucing" the car up a bit, and it turned into a full on frame off restoration. But after all this I know she'll be around for another fifty years and I can pass her down to my kiddo.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
That's awesome you've still got it around! Those kinds of stories are always so cool.

It's not quite to the same degree as your Camaro, but way back in the late 40's, my dad learned how to drive when he was real young on his family's surplus Willys Jeep. It was the family farm vehicle the whole time he grew up, so he used it often. He moved out when he was 18 and some years later the propery was sold.
My dad, just a couple years ago, decided to see what became of the property, which is only an hour away from where he lives now. Turns out it's a nature preserve. Contacted the owners, told them his story, and they were thrilled to let him wander around and see what it's like now. Before he left, he asked off hand if the old Willys was still around and it was! Still running too. He didn't get the chance to sit in it, but they fired it up and pulled it out for him. Makes me think, I wonder if I could convince the owners to sell it?

·
Premium Member
3,767 Posts
@keyda, Thanks for sharing that. It's a super cool car, a great tattoo, and a great story. I love multi generational gearhead stories like that. That's just awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,767 Posts
That's awesome you've still got it around! Those kinds of stories are always so cool.

It's not quite to the same degree as your Camaro, but way back in the late 40's, my dad learned how to drive when he was real young on his family's surplus Willys Jeep. It was the family farm vehicle the whole time he grew up, so he used it often. He moved out when he was 18 and some years later the propery was sold.
My dad, just a couple years ago, decided to see what became of the property, which is only an hour away from where he lives now. Turns out it's a nature preserve. Contacted the owners, told them his story, and they were thrilled to let him wander around and see what it's like now. Before he left, he asked off hand if the old Willys was still around and it was! Still running too. He didn't get the chance to sit in it, but they fired it up and pulled it out for him. Makes me think, I wonder if I could convince the owners to sell it?
I had a CJ2A (same as the military version) and it was a blast. That, and it's story being what it is, I'd give it a shot to see if I could buy it if I were you.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Saabnut, I'd certainly give it a shot! Worst they can say is no. My cousin recently found the 2nd bike he owned up on Craigslist. A 2003 SV650. He was going to try and get it back. I had to pick on him a bit, he's usually getting on me for being so nostalgic with my vehicles, lol. Obviously he doesn't say anything about the Camaro, but my junky S-10 or Cavalier were a different story.

K-woopa, I've had some old friends from child hood ask me if the car is still around. Sure is. I slept in the car as a baby, and for some reason Dad had a few different cars that came and went a 67 Chevelle, a 55 Chevy, and a regular 69 Camaro, but the Z/28 always stayed.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Zero gravity windscreen added, and I splurged for the Givi top rack and case. I figured it was worth the investment since this bike will be my last upgrade. It's not going anywhere, lol. I would also like to take it to the warplane museum I volunteer for, and I take a lot of crap with me, lol. Gotta have sunscreen, bug spray, cold drinks. Well not this time of year. Hurry up Spring!

Clearly these pics are from last season. It's winter time here now.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts