Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hop on my bike today to go get my tires changed. I was low on gas, but still have my reserve gallon, so I set it to reserve. Choked it to warm it up, then let it idle as I finished putting on my gear. I hop on, shift into first and turn the throttle. ::sputter sputter... dead:: Try again. Same thing. First thing that goes through my head is "Ugh, I'd better not post this on ex-500.com, FOG will "#1" me..." :p

But I have an appointment for my tires. No clogged pilot jet is gonna stop me. So with a little fannagling, I get the bike past 2k rpm and get going. 1/4 mile later, I'm going 5k rpm ::sputter sputter cough sputter... dead:: No traffic around, so I glide into the gas station that happened to be there, and try to start her up. It cranks, but won't stay going. I decide to put some gas in it, since I'm at a gas station and low anyway.

So I filled up, and switched the petcock from reserve to on. She fired right up. I proceeded to ride 5 miles to the shop without a hitch. I guess I was just out of gas.

I don't know whether leprechauns stole my reserve gallon, or if my reserve setting is broken. Any ideas?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just wondering, if you put the petcock on OFF instead of reserve ?? If not then maybe some water in the tank ?

???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was definitely on reserve. Water in the tank is a possibility. How would I check that out?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Leprechauns, as everyone should know, control most of the world's oil reserves and a "Lion's Share" of the earth's precious metals. They are clearly too rich to get their hands dirty with common Thievery. We all know that Leprechauns, in an attempt to create a gasoline shortage and drive prices even higher, have employed Inner-City Garden Gnomes to steal gasoline.

Inner-City Garden Gnomes, as we all know, cannot be trusted! With their "tiny hands" and garden hoses, Gnomes are the #1 thieves of gasoline. Not to be confused with Gremlins who are the creators of any other mechanical or electrical ailment you may have. ;D

....or maybe you just ran out of gas. :-[

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Ninjastorm66 said:
It was definitely on reserve. Water in the tank is a possibility. How would I check that out?
Try running it on reserve with a full tank. If it sputters then ....you have water.

FOG

·
Registered
40 Posts
The simple way to eliminate water from the bottom of the tank is to simply add the proper amount of StaBil to a full tank of fuel. Do it a couple of times if you know you have an accumulation, but adding a small amount once a month doesn't hurt.

It puts the water into suspension with the fuel and allows it to burn off.

You can also do the same with about 3 oz of high grade ethanol or isopropyl alcohol, but it's easier and safer with StaBil.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Guess that could've been my problem. Just so you know, though (so you know you're not completely crazy), my '90 did the exact same thing. The reserve was still "full" but I had to add gas to get going again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ninjastorm66 said:
So I hop on my bike today to go get my tires changed. I was low on gas, but still have my reserve gallon, so I set it to reserve. Choked it to warm it up, then let it idle as I finished putting on my gear. I hop on, shift into first and turn the throttle. ::sputter sputter... dead:: Try again. Same thing. First thing that goes through my head is "Ugh, I'd better not post this on ex-500.com, FOG will "#1" me..." :p

But I have an appointment for my tires. No clogged pilot jet is gonna stop me. So with a little fannagling, I get the bike past 2k rpm and get going. 1/4 mile later, I'm going 5k rpm ::sputter sputter cough sputter... dead:: No traffic around, so I glide into the gas station that happened to be there, and try to start her up. It cranks, but won't stay going. I decide to put some gas in it, since I'm at a gas station and low anyway.

So I filled up, and switched the petcock from reserve to on. She fired right up. I proceeded to ride 5 miles to the shop without a hitch. I guess I was just out of gas.

I don't know whether leprechauns stole my reserve gallon, or if my reserve setting is broken. Any ideas?
heh this happened to me 2 days ago, bike about to die, switch to reserve and nothing, bike dies, mofo's riding my ass almost run me over and its 10pm on the highway. NOT FUN, luckily i passed gas station like 100yrds away

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
FOG said:
Ninjastorm66 said:
Try running it on reserve with a full tank. If it sputters then ....you have water.
FOG
It's always funny when someone tells me something that is obvious & logical, but I never thought of.
Thanks FOG.

Anybody-
Is it reasonable to expect that using 10% alcohol gas would elliminate any such water accumulation?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, gasahol will solve the problem if it's limited to 10% alchohol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whatever the problem is seems to have cleared itself up. Gasahol is standard around here in the Midwest with the powerful corn lobby ;) . If it was water, I guess it got absorbed and sent out the tailpipe.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just a thought, try sloshing the tank around or leaning the bike towards the petcock side to make sure the feeder tube is completely submerged. I remember reading that tip somewhere, some time ago.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had the same problem about 10 years ago. Turned out to be water/moisture in the tank. I was already on reserve when I had parked it for a week. A fresh tank of gas seemed to cure the problem

I did see a few Forest Gnomes in the air box though... :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts