Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit up the track from about 11pm-1am tonight. Got in several runs. The air parameters are as follows.

Standard Altitude 1342
78*F
29.94 altimeter
68* dew point

Corrected altitude 3153

The track was very very sticky, my shoes were glued to the track pretty well ;)
Kept having a lot of trouble keeping the front wheel down, at one point it shot up about 1-1.5ft in the air and scared me pretty well.
The bike is bone stock down to the air filter, exhaust, EVERYTHING!

60ft 2.09
1/8: [email protected]
1/4 [email protected]

60ft 2.11
14: [email protected]

60ft 2.08
1/4: [email protected]

60ft 2.17

60ft 2.16

60ft 2.10

60ft 2.13

For the fastest run I noted that the bike was not fully warmed up, it seemed to like running a bit cooler to yield a better time. This was my first time out to the track w/ a bike ever. After the first run I started shifting w/o the clutch. Other than that everything was done fairly consistent with all of those runs. Some of them were back to back. Any questions just ask.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Since the EX has a huge ,virtually indestructable clutch, Use it. I never drag races but I made hundreds of race starts. as many as 25 in a season on the same clutch, as a matter of fact I never bought a clutch for an EX.
Heres what you do
At the Get ready signal (whatever that is) hold !0,000 revs. at the go signal full throttle and slip the clutch to hold the front wheel 2" off the ground. as soon as the clutch is all the way out (fully engaged) bang the 1-2 clutchless upshift.

See picture of Fog doing a Demo.

FOG

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Fog, I have seen you post before that it's a near indestructible clutch. At one point while I was out at a large parking lot I wanted to get an idea for how high I could tack it up before I had to start worrying about it pull a wheelie and was doing several back to back 4-6k launches w/ it. I did notice the clutch would heat up significantly and begin slipping, id have to adjust it in order to get out of there. I do believe I went back to the original setting I had on the next day but can you give me some more insight on why I shouldn't worry so much about blowing this clutch out? Also any idea what the price is for a clutch pack if I happen to destroy it?

Also at 10k I am going to seriously worry about launching and landing on my head when that thing flings back. I will try to practice feathering the clutch that much.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Ok the clutch is good I forgot to mention the springs suck. They are too small and were put there for the girls. Get some Barnett springs of one from a ZX6.

FOG

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Any year will work . Take off the clutch cover and there are the five 10mm bolts the springs are under them just pull them and change springs 5 min.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It's a wet clutch, drain the oil first ;)

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Frog said:
It's a wet clutch, drain the oil first ;)
Not nexessary the oil sump is below the clutch.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Thanks for correcting me :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A gentleman on another forum posted not to ride to much w/o using the clutch b/c of these bikes having weak shift forks. Truth to this and are there upgrades? Easy swap?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
That's Bogus, the forks are fine. There are problems though. On the 1st gen bikes the Bushings in 2nd, 5th gears are junk and wear out quickly. then they jump out of gear on torque reversals, This accelerates the wear on the dogs and the problem worsens. The fix is to have Fog rebuild your Transmission. 2nd gen bikes are better.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Never heard of anyone trying it but FOG says this engine is maxed out.. So be prepared to fix it often.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Clutchless shifting? I didn't know you could do that. Are there any down sides?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Remember to chop the throttle.

FOG

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cool. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Took my G-Tech gee meter out for a spin today, never had it on the bike, did 2 runs out in the country on a long dead end road with no driveways, this was the best of the 2, stock motor, basicly stock gearing (15/39), 2-1 header + Yoshi can + cone filters + stock carbs. Sea level 87 degrees.
Was slipping up top (been using some cheap auto oil till i track down a small leak) + my clutch is adjusted way out at the end, may need some adjustment....also couldn't tuck all the way as the camera was aboard,(and the GPS, G-tech meter, tank bag, vid-corder mount, & a camelbak of water, cooling vest, etc..). forgot to turn it on though... ??? !!

(time is off AM to PM)

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Actually when i saw the 2nd run I said "d'oh", 107mph!! on a little deadend road by myself and no one knows I am here, I could lay in a ditch for a week till some trailertrash came to drop off a couch/fridge and found me, plus my cel phone was in the tankbag, who knows where that would be in a 100+ getoff...so I headed home. I'll drag my brother along next time. Was the perfect road though, goes past the last driveway, curves a little then runs 1/2 mile straight to a dead end, 2 lanes, nice pavement, no side roads. I wore full gear,+ back protector but mesh not leather as it peaked over 91 that day.
I am also rusty at race starts it seemed.
I don't go to the local drag strip 'cause it's only a 1/8 mile strip.
People without a lot of high speed track time PLEASE take it to the dragstrip where it is safer and legal.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
OK, i made a higher res version of my Daytona start from pole here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7wJtD-pnE&mode=user&search=

That's how ya want to do do it, weight over the tank, not more then a 2-3" wheelie, legs back, feather throttle higher and higher till the flag drops (or tree goes green) and GO BABY GO!!! I shift at 11,000 on the nose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts