Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a very odd problem with my bike. I bought it befor the winter as a fixer up project. Evey thing has been going great intill i needed to fix the speed sensor. I went and got a sensor and cable and some other parts for it. Get home take the wheel off start to assemble it. None of it fit. The guy i bought it from told me it had a newer ninja front wheel so i start looking to see what year it was thinking thats why none of it fit. Over about an hour of looking i come to the conclution that it has a mid 90's yahama YZF600 front wheel. So My real question is if i spend all the money (around 60$) to get the correct yahama parts , or should i just get a kawasaki wheel. It should work if the speed-o cable is the same on the output side?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Depends on the years. If your bike is a 1st gen changing the wheels back to stock means going to a 16" wheel where as the yamaha is 17"( I think). Find out the year of your bike look at the tire sizes and determin if its worth the trade off of changing the wheels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i have no idea what year yahama it came off of but it is a 17in wheel. And my ex500 is a 93'. THe only thing that is stoping me from buying the parts for my wheel now is that i dont know if the cable will thread in to the speed-o its self on the bike

·
Registered
270 Posts
you want to keep the yamaha wheel then if you went back to the 16"er you'll be sacrificing your tire selection, or you could swap to a 94 or newer front wheel from a ninja500 and use that speedo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its got brand new tires on it so i realy dont wanna have to buy new ones. To be honest i dont care what wheel ends up on it its just i dont know if it is possible for the yahama to work. Once i can figure that out i know what to do from there.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
_alias_ said:
The guy i bought it from told me it had a newer ninja front wheel so i start looking to see what year it was thinking thats why none of it fit. Over about an hour of looking i come to the conclution that it has a mid 90's yahama YZF600 front wheel.
94 and up ninja 500's have a 17 inch wheel, are you sure you draw the right conclusion ?

Look around on this site, especially in the Gallery section, you'll see both 1st and 2nd gen bikes, you might see your front wheel on a 94+ bike ;)

Try to get back in touch with the guy who sold it to you, it might save you major headaches in trial/error to test fit yourt speedo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK i a picture. To be honest with you i have no clue wat to do. Is there a way to get a custom speedo that is electric not mechanical. Im thinking im just gunna put a 20$ bike speedo from target or something.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd just go with a bike speedo and be done with it. Cheap, easy solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thinking that will be the easyest bet. what ever happens it gunna be a ghetto custom rig. I swear my bike is the ghetoest ninja around.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Nah, that title is mine ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Just after I pulled my fairings and slapped together my diamond plate fairing (just something to hold the signals) I pulled up to a red light in Louisville. As I was sitting there an S-10 rolls up and a brother with a lit joint leans out the window and just stares at me, glazed eyes and all. I look over at him and in a slow, he's-thinking-way-too-hard-for-this voice he says, "Man, your bike looks like it's going to fall apart." I don't even remember what I said back, something about I ride ugly bikes but they run fine. I couldn't help but bust out laughing when the light turned green and I took off.

Where's my roll of duct tape? I need to dry in a few parts before I take it out for a ride again. :D

EDIT: Click my sig pic to see it the way he saw it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
looking at nicks picture we have some similarities, mine constantly drips oil so I ride with a bottle stashed under the seat.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
did that all last season but with a prestone (coolant) bottle ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts