Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
header pipe leaks. I can see a little smoke coming out from the header pipes area when I rev the engine while warming the bike up. I was going to buy header gaskets but I figure I ask you guys first. Any helpful info is appreciated!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I believe you're supposed to replace those gaskets any time you take it apart, it's a cheap part anyway.

if its leaking from there, I suppose it must be either a bad gasket, or improper bolt torques, which I do not know off-hand.

R

·
0 Posts
Before I put on my Hindle, my stock pipes did the same thing - a bit of smoke came from the head, and from somewhere just before the header pipes met the cans. It would go away as soon as the engine warmed up. Didn't seem to be any problem....replace the gaskets if you're really worried.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

I just called the shop and they'll have to order it. I was wondering, can I use some RTV gasket maker for it. I have a tube of RTV gasket maker and can get it fix now as appose to ordering and waiting for the parts to come in but I want to here from you guys first.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
If you haven't taken your bike apart, just order the parts and wait. It won't hurt to ride it like it is - I know because I did it when I got my bike. Once the parts come in you can just fix it the right way and not worry about the problem coming right back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts