Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the headlight is really starting to bug me on this bike. MY problem is that the low beam is totally useless for riding at any speed, and the high beam is just barely useful to me. is there anything at all that can be done to improve this thing? short of a different upper fairing with better lights?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
you can change the bulb to anything H4 up to 100W

dragknee is running his headlights at 110W, that's the highest I've seen.

Got a 55W/100W and I was glad my low beam wasn't brighter when I hit some serious fog last week on my ride back home.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will that have any negative effects on the electrical system? I dont really want to try something only to melt my wiring or cause the bike to burst into flames.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Never got any problems with the 100W setup, so far it held good with couple of hours long rides on the high beam.

The wiring 'should' be able to sustain 130W : 13volts x 10 amps, 10 amps being the blowoff point of the headlight fuse.

Don't go to 130W, 100W has been tested ok ;)

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, thanks for the suggestion. if this doesnt suit me, I'm going to be experimenting with fabbing a mount to work with a 600RR upper fairing and headlights.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
surge2k said:
Frog and I have the same headlight, except mine is on a 2002. No problems thus far with this H4 bulb. =)
Did you change the bulb ?

The one that comes with the headlight is 55w/60w, I changed it ;)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Went to Canadian Tire and ask about it.

You can get them at any auto supplies I guess. Wal-Mart surely has some.

As long as you buy H4 headlight bulb, it will fit, you can play with the wattage but over 100w you are in uncharted territory ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
i got these:

Canadian eBay# 300116288018

i bought them ffor a few people and man are they much brighter than stock 90/100 watts i beleive an hell there are 2 so one goes u got a spare

·
Registered
504 Posts
Not to be a wise guy but did you try adjusting the beam? The adjuster can be turned easily by hand, it's up under the "dashboard" on the right. Makes a big difference.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RedEX said:
Not to be a wise guy but did you try adjusting the beam? The adjuster can be turned easily by hand, it's up under the "dashboard" on the right. Makes a big difference.
it doesnt really help me enough. the low beam is still too freakin low no matter how I set it, high beam well its too high. that just dont work well to me.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
dp672 said:
i got these:

i bought them ffor a few people and man are they much brighter than stock 90/100 watts i beleive an hell there are 2 so one goes u got a spare
How many Watts do they draw, didn't see it.. :-\

·
Registered
530 Posts
You should also check to make sure your light is aimed correctly. From the factory, mine only went out about 6'. I don't know who aimed it.. but they did a horrible job. After adjusting it, it works OK stock. Eventually, I may swap out to HID.

I'd suggest avoiding the Silverstars.. while they work pretty decently, the lifespan sucks.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
bobthebiker said:
will that have any negative effects on the electrical system? I dont really want to try something only to melt my wiring or cause the bike to burst into flames.
ive had no problems so far. running two H7 55w bulbs both on at the same time. had them on for about a month or so i think. i was thinking about getting a small autometer volt gauge and mounting that somewhere.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Frog said:
dp672 said:
i got these:

How many Watts do they draw, didn't see it.. :-\
i think its somethan like 170 watts on high for draw....hasn't fried anything yet :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
dp672 said:
i think its somethan like 170 watts on high for draw....hasn't fried anything yet :)
??? 14 volts x 10 amps = 140w <= That's where the headlight fuse would blow up..

You got that mounted on the EX500 ?

Didn't you got any battery problems out of your setup ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Frog said:
dp672 said:
??? 14 volts x 10 amps = 140w <= That's where the headlight fuse would blow up..

You got that mounted on the EX500 ?

Didn't you got any battery problems out of your setup ?
naw actually the bike works fine...i havent blew a fuse yet lol

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
What's the lower beam draw ?

How long was the longest ride with high beam (not switching on low) ?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts