Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

6021 - 6040 of 7590 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
well I finally found a bit of luck ... the car driver that hit me and made my bike a WRECK / WRITEOFF CAT C was only covered 3rd party so I ended up having to accept £500 / $1000 after I bought the bike ( with very moderate damage . the bracket underneath the swing arm the r/h side had bent slightly £700 / $1400 repair bill ) so was called a financial write off ..... right I bought my bike back for scrap value £25 / $50 so got a cheque for £475 and as both sides of the Atlantic know I GOT RIGHT ROYALY SHAFTED :( by his insurance company ..... so over the last week iv ground myself to a stand still stripping the bike . broken / bent parts consisted of .
Swing arm / Swing arm bushings
rear wheel rim and tyre , rear wheel bearings
rear suspension bushings
then after I stripped the bike further
a water pump
impellor shaft
steering head bearings
clutch springs
kickstand switch
clutch switch
front brake switch
exhaust is cracked at the bracket to the rear hanger so is blowing
so I went on ebay and tried my best :) . but £475 wont get you a rebuild but I think I got most of the way there

Attachments

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
lol bet you thought id finished :) nope more stuff
The frame ,fairings , there mostly bran new , twin disc forks, and pegs cost £200 . the delvics where £160 he had them at £180 / £190 with P&P ..
THE STUFF I STILL WANTED A SET OF 1999 er500 rims
SET OF TYRES

Attachments

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
One_Evil_Monkey said:
Lunty,.... Oh hell no.
lol OEM I know I should of just bought another GPZ , but my hire bike is being picked up tomorrow so I need some wheels asap and £475 would of only got me a bike that needed loads of repairs so lesser of 2 evils

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
HAHAHA that's the same look I have doing this rebuild ....... but you don't take a banger to here ( my local biker meet up carousel SOUTHPORT ):p ,
but im having problems riding with my wrist and left knee so maybe some time off a bike will sort it ( fingers crossed )

Attachments

·
Banned
11,554 Posts
bcmyspace said:
Ladies and Gentlemen of Ex500

It has been a long time since my, new to me, 05 Ninja has had a proper owner. Today I present to you the changes done.
Your filter looked horrible!
And one bank of the engine is running super rich!
Tune the carburetors.

Jesus H! Must I explain this again?!
There is a screw on the bottom of the carb. If it is on the front, on the intake side, it is air adjustment, if it is on the rear of the carb, to the airbox side, it is a fuel adjustment.
To adjust the 500 and make the mixture correct, you let the machine warm up. Then turn the idle up to around 2500 RPM.
The mixture screw on the 500 is a fuel adjustment, must be turned SLOWLY.
Turning each one (mix), counter clockwise, will richen the mix. It opens the pilot jet. Closing (turning the mix screw clock wise, to the right) closes the fuel passage and makes the engine run leaner. With the engine warmed and the idle turned up, adjust each carb seperatly. Listening for the highest idle. Get one carb adjusted then do the same thing on the other one. Then turn down the idle back to around 1100 RPM.
It's not rocket science.

O_E_M

·
Registered
306 Posts
One_Evil_Monkey said:
bcmyspace said:
Ladies and Gentlemen of Ex500

It has been a long time since my, new to me, 05 Ninja has had a proper owner. Today I present to you the changes done.
Your filter looked horrible!
And one bank of the engine is running super rich!
Tune the carburetors.

Jesus H! Must I explain this again?!
There is a screw on the bottom of the carb. If it is on the front, on the intake side, it is air adjustment, if it is on the rear of the carb, to the airbox side, it is a fuel adjustment.
To adjust the 500 and make the mixture correct, you let the machine warm up. Then turn the idle up to around 2500 RPM.
The mixture screw on the 500 is a fuel adjustment, must be turned SLOWLY.
Turning each one (mix), counter clockwise, will richen the mix. It opens the pilot jet. Closing (turning the mix screw clock wise, to the right) closes the fuel passage and makes the engine run leaner. With the engine warmed and the idle turned up, adjust each carb seperatly. Listening for the highest idle. Get one carb adjusted then do the same thing on the other one. Then turn down the idle back to around 1100 RPM.
It's not rocket science.

O_E_M
He just said he's the new owner... why harass him?

·
Banned
11,554 Posts
Snake, it's not harassment, okay?
It is however, a simple matter of a simple procedure that some seem to overlook or fail to read.
Go play some Metal Gear Solid and leave the real guys that do actual work on motorcycles to the guys that acutally do the real work. Maybe it would be a change of pace for you?

O_E_M

·
Banned
11,554 Posts
Leroy2196 said:
Monkey.... you crake me up sometimes you grumpy bastard ;D
Haha!
Leroy, I like being a grumpy son of *****, mainly because it suits me.
I also like to make you laugh, and I'm glad I can. I like to make people laugh, not because I'm an ass but I enjoy the fact that I can bring pleasure and a smile to someone.

You know what I mean?
I'm not attempting to offend and I'm sorry if my odd sense of humor does piss off people.

O_E_M

·
Banned
11,554 Posts
Leroy2196 said:
Ha! At first, i admit i was taken back when i first became a member, but now i woudnt have you anyother way, i love your senss of humor!! Be you man!!!! 8)
Thank you, Leroy.
I appreciate it.

O_E_M

·
Registered
306 Posts
One_Evil_Monkey said:
It is however, a simple matter of a simple procedure that some seem to overlook or fail to read.
Go play some Metal Gear Solid and leave the real guys that do actual work on motorcycles to the guys that acutally do the real work. Maybe it would be a change of pace for you?

O_E_M
Sorry, I forgot you were the only competent person in the world ::)

·
Banned
11,554 Posts
solidxsnake said:
One_Evil_Monkey said:

O_E_M
Sorry, I forgot you were the only competent person in the world ::)
Apparently I am.
O_E_M

6021 - 6040 of 7590 Posts