Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

7541 - 7560 of 7576 Posts

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Did the 4k tune up. Plugs & filter. Should carry me into winter break down.

The EX tune up takes priority over any yard work.

Oil change coming by late next week, Sunday at latest.
Yard work will still be waiting at that point also.

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
not today but a couple days ago...not EX but on my Honder CBRrrrrr :

*check, adjust tire pressures
*check engine oil (level remains stable since the 600 mile change)
*check chain tension (within spec)
*clean, lube chain
*clean using Honda spray polish and microfiber cloths
*install Speedo Angel brand instrument panel protective cover

1900 miles and no issues whatsoever, impeccable

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Last night I replaced my rear suspension with that of a 2011 Ninja 250, and flushed the coolant. Currently working on a deep clean of the radiator. Hopeful to be done tomorrow with that. Almost time for winter maintenance to start.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got busy! Installed new RK chain & sprockets, Venhill steel braided brake lines, FOG Mod, & oil change. Still have to tune the pilot screws in the morning since it got a little late didn’t want to have my bike noising up the neighborhood 9-10 at night.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Got around to the Oil change, and a complete flush of the coolant with "deep clean" according to the prestone radiator flush. Went with the Mobile 1 10w40 oil and the Dexcool antifreeze.
If the Mobil 1 you got was in the normal automotive oils section, you got the incorrect oil. It will have a friction modifier which does not play nice with the wet clutch and will cause it to slip.
As for your coolant selection, Dexcool has a pretty poor reputation. Lots of stories of cars which came with it stock (which would be GM products) clogging up extremely prematurely and getting corrosion issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If the Mobil 1 you got was in the normal automotive oils section, you got the incorrect oil. It will have a friction modifier which does not play nice with the wet clutch and will cause it to slip.
As for your coolant selection, Dexcool has a pretty poor reputation. Lots of stories of cars which came with it stock (which would be GM products) clogging up extremely prematurely and getting corrosion issues.
The mobile one was the Racing 4t. As for the Dexcool, I suppose time will tell. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
The mobile one was the Racing 4t. As for the Dexcool, I suppose time will tell. Thanks for the information.
Just making sure. It's not uncommon for folks to just walk into O'Reilly and grab the nearest gallon of oil off the shelf. Let us know how the cooling system looks inside when you have to drop the coolant next for a valve adjustment.

·
Administrator
3,608 Posts
Hi! New here! Just posting what I did in the last week to my gpz. 😁 New windshield, phone mount, painted and bent on the inside horns
What's painted on the horn in the first picture? And what's with that kickstand pad? :grin2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Finally got around to valve clearances! They were all tight, which struck me as weird - I though I read somewhere that one set tended to loosen and the other set tended to tighten, but they're all spec now so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Note to others - don't be an idiot like me and drop your 8mm down into the timing chain. I was lucky I had some magnets hanging around...and that the chain caught it!

While the tank was off I also cleaned and re-oiled the air cleaner. She will be one very happy Ninja come springtime!

I have put the valve cover back on with some RTV but that's it - any suggestions for other PM at ~14k miles while the tank and fairings are off?

Attachments

7541 - 7560 of 7576 Posts