Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

7561 - 7576 of 7576 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Today is my best friends birthday, but he could not celebrate as he past away 11 years ago in a motorcycle accident. He lived in another state so I we never got to ride together. Today for his birthday I went on a 4 hour ride then finished it off with his favorite adult beverage. It was a good day!

·
Administrator
3,608 Posts
Today is my best friends birthday, but he could not celebrate as he past away 11 years ago in a motorcycle accident. He lived in another state so I we never got to ride together. Today for his birthday I went on a 4 hour ride then finished it off with his favorite adult beverage. It was a good day!
I can appreciate that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rolled over 1000 miles on the digital odometer since I rebuilt the motorcycle. That’s just over 37000 miles on the engine now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well last night I inspected a job my buddy and I did a week ago. Valve adjustment On the ex250 05 nocturne blue. I noticed that even though the coil was welded on it still had two bolts we forgot to put those two bowls on. One of the fairings was a missing bolt so at 5 a.m. I called my guy up and asked him about it we argued about it for an hour he had the one bolt in his pocket for the fairing I also remember that coolant O-ring going down past valve cover, was harder thanrock that I had to take out to pull out the valve cover so I think what we'll do is order the O-ring and then get back in there and put those bolts back and then double-check. We also changed out the clutch lever from when we accidentally dropped the bike. Both of us parking them on a facing downhill on the kickstand. he put his bike on the kickstand and I put my bike on the kickstand and then I was like hey come over because he couldn’t hear me “here look at this you shouldn't put your bike on the kickstand on the hill cuz Ii can fall!!!!” A second later we looked back at the 250 guess what was happening?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The kit I got was a stage 7 which has a wide range of tuning. The instructions are easy to follow. The settings are not going to be the same for everyone, altitude, makes a big difference, also air pressure and humidity so you may have to play around with the air screw to smooth out the idle ( mines at 3 1/4 turns out) And the needle may need lifted or dropped a 1/2 clip to richen or lean out the fuel mixture. make sure the inlet manifolds are properly sealed to the engine. Make sure the slide vacuum rubbers are correctly placed in their allocated grooves, slide up freely and return smoothly. Use a little silicon grease around the edge of the vacuum it may help. Make sure your carbs and jets are all clean and your float levels are set to standard. Make sure your carbs are balanced, you can do this by eye watching the butterfly’s open and close and adjust the balance screw, but a better job with vac gauges. Make sure your compression is good, valve clearances are correct, you have fresh fuel.
The dynojet needles have a more aggressive taper, and also are adjustable so I wouldn’t try any modifications with stock needles. The slide hole is drilled out to 3.1mm and the softer springs makes it easier for the vacuum to lift the slide. There are a number of main jet sizes to then fine tune the full open fueling which will depend on your air filter and exhaust. The trouble shooting document that comes with the kit is really helpful for getting your head around what you need to adjust to iron out any running issues. And once you have the air box off it’s way easier to work on the carbs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Winter restoration of my new ex500. It's not as bad as it looks; the rest of the bike is in the kitchen. :smile2: My wife is thrilled.

I did the valve adjustment last night...maybe for the first time? 5,900 miles. Intake were fine - exhaust were all very tight, but they are now set to 0.008". Hopefully I'm saving it before serious damage was done. I torqued the valve-adjusting nuts to 18 ft/lbs, which didn't seem very tight, but hopefully that's all they need to stay put. It took a lot more to break them loose.

Below are before and after pics (before = 2003, after = 2020)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,907 Posts

I prefer the dining room myself. But that's just me.

Living room is OK for some things. Like trying to hook up my CB radio. :grin2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I prefer the dining room myself. But that's just me.
Living room is OK for some things. Like trying to hook up my CB radio. :grin2:

I moved the operation into the bathroom. The variable pressure Waterpik is a great parts cleaner - especially radiator fins. Plus of course there are toothbrushes everywhere. :wink2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I pondered adjusting my mixture screws yet again, last tank of gas only lasted me 97 miles which seems incredibly poor. I left them at 2.5 turns out previously and thinking of moving to 2.0 turns out or 1.5.

Long story short I did nothing :C

7561 - 7576 of 7576 Posts