Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

7641 - 7647 of 7647 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
spent last night removing rear wheel in order to drop shock and physically put it in the vice in order to turn the preload spacer on Works shock. Happy today as I have taken preload out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Had to realign the forks, had a brain fart and didn't have the kickstand extended all the way, dropped it in the garage. Luckily the trash can cushioned the fall so the only thing that hit the ground was the bar end, so that got scraped but no other damage.

I consider myself extremely lucky since the bar end was already damaged, it took longer to pick the bike up than it did to align the forks. Started it up, ran like crap for a minute, all is well now.

·
Super Moderator
14,911 Posts
In the interest of fully conforming to legalities, I'm getting NY state inspection stickers updated on all 4 motorbikes here. With the Covid thing pulling focus away, I allowed them to lapse. SS800 done yesterday, VFR today, other 2 next week. Goal to be in compliance (fully legal) through the majority of next spring/summer riding season.

Edit: VFR done, 2 to go.
Re-edit: CBR done, 1 to go

·
Registered
806 Posts
In the interest of fully conforming to legalities, I'm getting NY state inspection stickers updated on all 4 motorbikes here. With the Covid thing pulling focus away, I allowed them to lapse. SS800 done yesterday, VFR today, other 2 next week. Goal to be in compliance (fully legal) through the majority of next spring/summer riding season.

HAHAHA!!! I don't miss NY at all. EVERYTHING is taxed. Here in Florida, no such thing as an "inspection", nor is there a "fee" for said "inspection"!

·
Super Moderator
14,911 Posts
I'm fully indoctrinated. Working at a dealer, I actually became a card holding, licensed NY state motorcycle inspector in another lifetime, long ago. Late 70's

Most folks ride functional bikes, reality is there are those who do NOT. The idea to weed these out, get them in compliance in best interests of public road safety.
Many riders here get away with non compliance....stickers so tiny, authorities must stop and look for it, a technicality usually written up within a larger, more meaningful traffic stop. I choose to simply get 'er done, legally comply. All my machines fully functional, in good nick, no reason to evade legalities.

IF I'm ever stopped for minor speeding, for example, I'd stand a better chance of talking my way out of a ticket while in compliance. If not.....traditionally the ticket book comes out.

·
Registered
148 Posts

HAHAHA!!! I don't miss NY at all. EVERYTHING is taxed. Here in Florida, no such thing as an "inspection", nor is there a "fee" for said "inspection"!
Funny, the "The People Republic of New York" - I used to go through the inspection bs in the lovely state of New Jersey too. What I used to do was just not get my bikes done, this way I would have some bargaining tools when and if I got pulled over for some traffic infraction, "officer, could you write me for non-inspected vehicle instead?" Sometimes it worked, other times---Eh. Thing I disliked was that you used to have to stick the inspection sticker on your fork leg. Its a racquet, here in FL there is no state inspection for passenger vehicles or motorcycles. I was here when they had DMV inspections though a long time ago.Peace

·
Registered
148 Posts
I filled it up with 89 ethanol free gas this AM and took it on a 30 or so mile ride, urban where speeds were 35-45 and highway speeds up to 120mph (a few seconds) but generally cruised on the highway at 90mph at around 7000+ RPM. When I got home I took the caliper off and removed the braked pads and gave it a good scrubbing with Simple Green and washed it off with H20. I forced the pads out with the lever and gave them a pass with a red scotch brite pad. When I was happy, I re-assembled everything with a new one of those rubber gaters that I had kicking around in my drawer. Satisfying job when you see the pools of brake dust you were responsible for cleaning puddling in the baking pan (I use as a collector) on the driveway floor. PeAcE

7641 - 7647 of 7647 Posts