Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

7681 - 7700 of 7709 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Its funny how you reacted to the word "derelict" not putting down anyones/anything - thats not how I role LOL. I hate inheriting other peoples projects that are in boxes (hence the word Basket Case.) I used to like using a two word catch phrase of "Finger Fuc*ed" but found out another way to describe various states of FUBAR in a better way. In aviation, they like saying "undisturbed" it is concise and to the point without resorting to profanity (even though profanity is funny as FUC*) you get the picture,

Its nice to get a rolling bike that has the body work intact or parts left undisturbed. Forgotten neglected bikes fall into this category and are usually ok if the motor is'nt locked up. Not saying you can't get burnt buying something not running, just saying the price should be representative of its non running state.

You got alot of derelict VFRs in your neck of the woods? Wow, Have bike trailor will travel, kidding aside, I am planning on doing a TN trip end of Feb/MAR this year, will trailer either my EX or my 93 VFR up there, its 800+ miles for me and will break up the trip at a cousins house that is 5 hours away. PEaCe
I couldn't agree more. A box of bits is more of a project than I care to take on, no matter how the much the seller states "It's all there, 100% complete in those boxes".

I like my projects (no matter how neglected or bad they look) to be at least complete rolling items. I like to asses broken or missing items as I begin the disassembly process; it's my gauge on how good/bad this thing actually is.

My VFR was great riding bike when I got it. Rode it flawlessly for a few years. Just decided to give the old girl a thorough overhaul as a reward for being so brilliant. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I couldn't agree more. A box of bits is more of a project than I care to take on, no matter how the much the seller states "It's all there, 100% complete in those boxes".

I like my projects (no matter how neglected or bad they look) to be at least complete rolling items. I like to asses broken or missing items as I begin the disassembly process; it's my gauge on how good/bad this thing actually is.

My VFR was great riding bike when I got it. Rode it flawlessly for a few years. Just decided to give the old girl a thorough overhaul as a reward for being so brilliant. :)
Now I am thread jacking. White one I did a sympathetic restoration, black one is almost a one owner and has 82,000 miles. I was interested in a rider quality bike where if I got caught in the rain and just general riding to work I would be ok. That is what I ended up getting in spade, a little luck never hurt. My old commute was so sweet, I would take my First Wife there as I had a killer parking space. I had one commute a while ago that was a riding/driving hell. 75 miles round trip and spots where you could go as fast as you wanted. Glad I don't have to endure that anymore. Good luck with your resto. Peace

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
Nice Viffers, what years?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nice Viffers, what years?
I feel guilty answering LOL 91 and 93. That is what I know along with my EX500! I almost got a 94 which is the forth generation of that bike but it was not meant to be, wife had my car which had the trailer hitch, rush hour and raining on Friday night. I ended up buying the white one in 2013 and was glad to find something like it. 91 I had since 95, it is a special bike, alot of new oem parts on it and it rides like a dream. Peace and Happy Holidays

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
so both those would be gear driven and carbed Ever have any carb issues with them? My 98 gear driven and first year of FI, super reliable.

·
Registered
248 Posts
so both those would be gear driven and carbed Ever have any carb issues with them? My 98 gear driven and first year of FI, super reliable.
Yes, over the years I have over-hauled both sets - I have always gotten OEM kits from Honda. The nasty thing with that manufacturer is that they sell the bowl gasket kit separately from the float needle kit (You could go with a K&L kit, and I think I may have - just for the bowl gaskets.) My biggest issue was with worn o-ring on the fuel rail that fouled out a cylinder. I got home and was able to do some research and found a doode on Ebay that makes hand made tig welded aluminum fuel rails for the the Honda V-Fours. I got two sets for grins after the first worked so well. I had to de-rack the carburetor and install his aluminum rail in place of the plastic one that was there. Main issue were the worn o-rings which where replaced with his viton o-rings. Happy ending to the story. The 91 black bike rides perfect but I have a complete kit if a similar issue ever arises.

Yes, gear drive cams, both bikes do ride differently as did my old Grand Marquis (had two of them!) tennis racquets (had 4 of them. lol). Solid designed bikes with a nice sound. They fit me well, but I have to tell you - my EX500 is so well balanced and I feel like I could ride circles around my VFRs. Its light, has a enough power to leave people on the highway in your wake (assuming they are not psychos) full lock to the steering lock without pinching your hands/fingers etc. Love working on both the VFRs and the EX. Have a healthy happy Holiday...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
don't you love it when fate takes a hand and you do something so stupid you can't even understand how you did it.
yeah well that's me today. got the bike all finished. pulled it out of the garage for a good clean and polish. checked everything works as it should. so I put it back in it's corner for the rest of the winter.
cleaning all the tools and stuff off the bench and there it was "the radiator cap" how did I forget that. strewth what a dick.
all I can think of is I took it off to top up the rad after yesterdays run and got distracted.
now on the gen 1 there seems no way to replace it with the fairing on I have tried no chance. so tomorrow it's the front fairing off again.

·
Registered
248 Posts
don't you love it when fate takes a hand and you do something so stupid you can't even understand how you did it.
yeah well that's me today. got the bike all finished. pulled it out of the garage for a good clean and polish. checked everything works as it should. so I put it back in it's corner for the rest of the winter.
cleaning all the tools and stuff off the bench and there it was "the radiator cap" how did I forget that. strewth what a dick.
all I can think of is I took it off to top up the rad after yesterdays run and got distracted.
now on the gen 1 there seems no way to replace it with the fairing on I have tried no chance. so tomorrow it's the front fairing off again.
Gen 2 bike you can take the radiator cap off without removing the fairing. Not rubbing it in, you already knew that. Honda buries the cap, I had to walk out and look, you definitely need a philips head to remove a inner fairing cover and a neato funnel to top it off. At least you noticed it, what if you took off on a ride and it was on your bench?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
yeah I knew that about the gen 2. it's those dam infills. there locked in under the fairing lip and clock set. you have to loosen the fairing. ease it forwards then carefully unhook the infill. with them in place the header and cap are in that 2 and half inch gap. between the fairing and the infill. never mind at least I found out. I just hate doing things over. when I shouldn't have to. grrrrrr

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
@yorkie You should do a How-To write up on removing the fairings on a gen1 bike. Both main and tail, either together or separately.
You had fun with your last How-To write up

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
that might be a good idea @bpe. thanks.(y) I have also found something new about these old gen 1's if you slightly modify the infills they can be removed and replaced without removing the whole fairing just tank fixings

·
Banned
19 Posts
I've been working on my bike off and on for the last day or two, and will be for another few days.

I'm at 18K miles, and trying to get everything sorted for a bunch more riding this summer!

DONE:
  • Oil change
  • air filter clean/oil
  • new spark plugs
  • barnett clutch springs
  • reflective **** on rims and frame

To be done in the next few days:
  • Valve clearance adjustment
  • carb cleaning
  • new chain and sprockets (-1/+2)
  • full brake service
Now by changing the sprockets the bike is gonna rev it’s head off on th freeway ,I went + 1 on front so much more torque just about idles at 60 mph , and where did u get the Barnett clutch springs from and is the clutch lever hard to pull in now , cheers and happy new year

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sold cousin BMW bike to clear garage space, ready for Winter teardown, renewal:

View attachment 53032 View attachment 53033

CHEERS!!
So, evidently the family is quite aware when there's room at the Inn.
No sooner had I cleared the deck for the EX500 Winter Teardown & Refresh, when lo and behold, a second cousin came to stay.

From a rough corner of the Family, a 1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk.

Announcement: Garage is full, no more visitors!

Cheers!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Got a new Yuasa battery for the EX, I am not going with chinese Chrome and or Western Powersports batteries anymore. Ordered a bunch of o-rings for the Kwak at the dealer along with some Honda parts. Looked at the new ZX-10, impressive ride.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Bought fresh set of toolboxes to hold all the tools together.

replacing smaller boxes:

Now, where can I find a forklift to get the top box on to the bottom box?

Or can someone suggest a lift method? 2 ton cable winch puller, firmly attached to garage ceiling beam?
Tune in soon to see me working on the collapsed garage roof, right? LOL!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bought fresh set of toolboxes to hold all the tools together.

View attachment 53306

replacing smaller boxes:

View attachment 53307

Now, where can I find a forklift to get the top box on to the bottom box?

Or can someone suggest a lift method? 2 ton cable winch puller, firmly attached to garage ceiling beam?
Tune in soon to see me working on the collapsed garage roof, right? LOL!
This is blasphemy, putting a snap on box with a matco box, you sir should be ashamed

·
Registered
371 Posts
Success! Tiedown Straps and a come along attached to the garage roof beams, twice.

Funny, now I have too much toolbox!
I'm 6'4" and I can just see into the top box.

And now I need more tools to fill all the empty spaces, LOL!

7681 - 7700 of 7709 Posts