Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
7721 - 7740 of 7748 Posts

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,261 Posts
another 80+ this morning (same as prior destination) on my CBR650R Honda, which got the key today.

@yorkie your above pic is a vfr800 6th gen. WTF does that have to do with your Gen 1? And I can say with full authority, I'd never, ever, knowingly limit access to drain plugs (or need to "lose" a centerstand) to using aftermarket exhaust. No friggin way. Function first and foremost says I.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
another 80+ this morning (same as prior destination) on my CBR650R Honda, which got the key today.

@yorkie your above pic is a vfr800 6th gen. WTF does that have to do with your Gen 1? And I can say with full authority, I'd never, ever, knowingly limit access to drain plugs (or need to "lose" a centerstand) to using aftermarket exhaust. No friggin way. Function first and foremost says I.
the picture is just a general snap of the cafe bike park. the VFR just happened to be there. for information only the gen 1 is parked behind the geezer in the grey top. but he was a big bloke so no way I was going to tell him haul ass so I could get the bike in the photo. :D:Do_O.
as for the exhaust it is what it is. when building the bike I needed a new exhaust. that one was on special (half price) considering a new stock one complete is upwards of £800 twice what the bike was worth. it got the Motad.
if I need to alter it I will now it's 7 year old and rusty.

·
Registered
403 Posts
unfortunately no the pipe is right under the drain plug I would have to take off the left header and it's that one that is seized. never noticed this issue before has to be a bad design of the pipe it won't be an issue though when I fix it. I'll re design the left header so it's clear. just another winter job to the list. anyway had a nice ride out 80 miles in the countryside up to the biker cafe. coffee and back ran faultlessly. so the oil can wait.
View attachment 54748
Jeez and the first bike I see is an arrest me red VFR. It could be like an ink-blot test too, you see what you wana see. Rorschach Inkblot motopsychological testing being done here very covertly. 😄

·
Registered
403 Posts
nope. I refuse to buy one of those modern things.
does this constitute a "thread-jacking" ?? I know this for certain, me and my little missus are slated for new phones, some highly fallutin Samsung unit, enough to get you all water-ee in the eyes. Its sad how you have to get rid of perfectly working electronic devices, but I go with the flow and we have to have matching phones so...

·
Fast Old Guy
20,047 Posts
recommend Apple of any vintage from 6 up. amazing little devils still discovering things it does.
'FOG my last phone had a crank on the side

·
Registered
403 Posts
Would rather use two tin cans connected by twine, hate apple, would not rule out owning stock but despise the company. Comes from being in the biz back in the day and they used them for graphics, the people associated with them were such left brain thinking numb nuts they turned me against the product for life. Its almost like the HD saying its either Harley or nothing. For me, its Android or nothing. nuff sed, Go Razor Backs!

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,555 Posts
Had to get an android a few years back ($150). Not by choice, forced into it by society.
Biggest complaint:
Way too much crap on it that I will never use.

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
@8300 miles, vigorously detailed my Ducati SS800 today, using my most favored Honda spray polish. Lookin' as good as it performs. Threw in a chain wipe/lube as well.

Reactions: efusco9796 and bpe

·
Administrator
16,261 Posts
Not an EX , but over the last 2 days got my older, carbed '95 Ducati out from winter storage. Work included an overall cleanup, engine wash/degrease, drive chain degrease/lube and an oil/filter change. 45 mile ride today, the old buzzard running like a top...no need to consider touching the carbs for any reason. Nearly forgot....new belts were installed!

Water Tire Wheel Sky Cloud

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Land vehicle

Upgraded the bike rack to use one-up rack trays and made all attachment points to moto on quick cotterless pins.

Less than 10 mins to go from no rack to rack secured with whatever bike i want mounted and ready to hit the road!

P.s. Don't worry the sub structure under that grab bar, it is fully upgraded, I broke that a few years ago.

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
258 Posts
Installed my XGrip phone mount since I decided to buy a phone that was a smart phone off Amazom 15600 MAh battery Rugged type. We took a trip last Friday that took us through 5 detours over a 50 miles area to the point I was like, where am I, and had to pull over get the phone out and it did not have service so had to drive to another area and try again. Turned out we were only 8 miles from where we were going and it was pretty painless. Non the less I decided a phone mount could be useful. While I was at it, mounted the Gremlin bell that the oldest kiddo got us.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
133 Posts
@FlipFlop those bar ends and reservoir cover are sick! where does one find those?

Had a few days off work and all my parts in order, with a 26 mile mtb enduro, 4k vert on Saturday, I got in 2 solid days of work on the ninja sunday and monday, just past 61k miles, gave it a lot of love, and accomplished a solid list of tasks!

the list

Upgrade headset bearings (old ones finally where badly beat into the forward position)
.90 racetech front springs
Fresh fork oil 10 wt. set to factory height for now
"Rocked" the forks
fresh headlight bulb Phillips moto vision
new generation led running/turn install (crazy how much led tech got better from 2017 to now!)
installed Pingel fuel valve (old valve was starting to show signs of age and wanted a simpler system)
ninja 300 shock
fresh RK x-ring chain and JT sprockets
lubed clutch cable
Cleaned out the carb rail filter and installed new fuel line
Fresh vacuum caps for both sides of the carbs
Fresh Michelin pilot street radials
"string thing" alignment
Clean and conditioned the Corbin seat
Full clean, polish, wax and detail (last time I cleaned it was 2019 and a few posts back in this forum, i don't do it often, but when i do it get done right!)

Thats what I was able to get done with my 2 days off, as I need the 500 as my everyday go getter, only things left are to order some fresh grips, these 1157 led bulbs for the taillights I'm stoked on, and wait on a fresh kick stand spring cause mine is beat.

Also I need to change my right side exhaust can, but the second 500 exhaust i ordered from ebay turned out to be hollowed out, but in otherwise prefect condition (so that is getting returned). I'm looking to replace my dented one from when the front end of a car bumped me last year. If anyone has a right side exhaust can that isn't too scratched up lemme know!

Anyway here is some random pics.

Plant Wood Tree Vehicle Road surface

Tear down in my work shop which is normally an outdoor bike shop

Automotive tire Wood Chair Flooring Road surface

Best part about bike shop tools is they work for old motorcycles too! Crown puller, crown setter and race setting tools all worked like a charm!

Automotive tire Vehicle Water Tire Auto part

Wood Gas Hardwood Engineering Auto part

Side by side ninja 300 vs ex500

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

My first time using a polisher didn't turn out too bad, can't believe what it looks like even after 60k considering it looked like it had as much dirt on it as I do everyday from work (which is a lot 😂)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

This new suspension is insane! so crazy what the right spring weight will do, now just need some cartridge emulators and a proper rear shock sometime in the future.

Food Tableware Table Ingredient Plate

Beer, Burger, and trains to round out some solid work

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

and some "I forgot to take pics during the day and I know you wanna see it eye candy"

P.S. for anyone who searches the term Pingel ex500 and ends here, besides the other info about adaptor plate part# and choosing your location (which i found with a quick search), be aware, there is some massaging of the fuel valve hole into the tank to make it fit.

Reactions: bpe
7721 - 7740 of 7748 Posts