Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas prices soaring, I'm wondering what people are running. Has anyone seen a difference between regular and premium? What's your take on the issue? I realize the manual states 91+ octane, but is there a difference?

-Ken

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
i think the manual says 91 RON gasoline.

the octane at the pump in the US and canada is RON+MON/2

91 RON+83 MON=174/2=87

so just use regular 87.

in most places (read almost everywhere else in the world) the octane rating shown on the pump is the RON number.

so if you are in europe or japan, then you need to seek out the 91 RON. shouldnt be too hard, as its everywhere..

but here in north america thats the same as 87.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Has anyone seen a difference between regular and premium?
Nope...

What's your take on the issue?
What issue? high octane gasoline is harder to burn than a lower one. if your engine requires 87, there's absolutely no need to go any higher. The EX500 requires 86 or higher. an 86 burns perfect in the engine (well, damn close) and any higher of an octane is just going to be harder to burn, to the point it wont burn completely. translates into reduced fuel efficancy and decreased net power.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, myself (and probably some others) didn't know about the difference between RON and the octane rating at the pumps. Here's a website that agrees with you guys that lower octane rating (using the minimum required) is actually better than anything higher. http://kapitalmoto.co.uk/node/24 It actually states that burning higher octane fuel can cause carbon buildup in the engine from the unburned fuel.

You sure saved me some cash
Thanks again,
Ken

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
The few times someone expresses a surprise that I run 87 in this bike, I explain with great consternation and seriousness of thought, "Do you know why I run 87?" Answer, "Because they don't have 85." ;) Really, it's OK. :) No rattles, good performance.

Z

·
0 Posts
Adding octane only increases how much the fuel/air charge can be compressed before self igniting. Higher octane allows higher compression before self ignition. The EX was not designed for high octane fuel so it will have no benefit and your wallet will only suffer. Use what the engineers designed it to use and what is listed in the manual.

·
Registered
94 Posts
87 octane every time

I

·
0 Posts
Knightslugger said:
What issue? high octane gasoline is harder to burn than a lower one. if your engine requires 87, there's absolutely no need to go any higher. The EX500 requires 86 or higher. an 86 burns perfect in the engine (well, damn close) and any higher of an octane is just going to be harder to burn, to the point it wont burn completely. translates into reduced fuel efficancy and decreased net power.
Actually higher octane is not harder to burn per say, but rather it is more resistant to pre-igniting.
pre-ignition = engine ping = bad.

but since our bikes only call for 87, i wont bother to put anything more expensive in it.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
well being a tight a## I only run the reg. unl. anyway ,runs fine for me ,and agree with the others that the bike dose not need higher oct.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i ran 87 and i got some pinging. so i run 91 and everything is fine. its only like 10 bucks to fill the tank so i dont really mind. I dont mind paying a little more to protect my engine.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have run 87 octane since I got the bike...~4000 miles ago. Have never heard a ping, so why go to a more expensive fuel? ninjamon

·
Registered
146 Posts
Shell 87

Terry Dyson does oil analysis interpretation and is highly respected on the oil forum.

He says that recent formulation changes to Shell gasolines have resulted in substantial improvements in Used Oil Analysises.

According to Shell, they use double the required cleaning additives required by law in the 87 and 89, the 5x the required in V-Power, so V-Power seems to be the one premium fuel that actually can make a difference even when 87 is the minimum octane required.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts