Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine seem to be weak and gummy. Not sure if they're OEM or something the streetfighter PO installed.
I've been on eBay, which is a decent place for ideas. But now I'm here looking for the best knowledge on the subject.

Looking for what you changed to, including where you got it and price.
What mods you had to make if any, including giving up bar ends or not.
How you like your choice, and perhaps what you're looking at for next time.
I'm also considering woodcraft bars someday. Does this change anything?

Thanks all, and please slap me with tuna if this has been covered. I did try searching first! ;)

Cheers,
E

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I'll use this chance to mention.... Sunscreen on your palms from applieing it to your skin will attack the rubber in the grips. Common to most if not all motorcycles' OEM grips. Don't know why, just it does. Keep that in mind.

I use stock grips or replacements only if the stocks get worn out or damaged. I have used Pro-Grips for replacements. Stock diameter, reasonably hard. If you're having a problem that you think soft grips will fix, your actual problem is gripping the bars too tight. Quit it and it will feel better. ;)

That's part of sitting the bike right and has other benefits as well. Long topic, worth reading the riding books about.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yeah , I'd have to agree . These are called 'gel grips' but the are not . They are hard and stock diameter . Matter of fact the stock grips was softer . But these match my bike better . Then again as you mentioned I grip my bars lightly aswell .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My grips seem to be weak or deteriorated. For example, if I grab the outer part of the throttle grip and twist, it'll go about a quarter turn before the inner part starts to twist. I want something that feels solid, not mushy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i got some "gel" grips from my dealer. MUCH better than the factory ones. their tackier and have wide open recesses. unlike the rather knobby grips that came with the bike. not bad for the $10 i spent on them.

next investment...HVMP bar ends!

·
Registered
81 Posts
dad said:
I'll use this chance to mention.... Sunscreen on your palms from applieing it to your skin will attack the rubber in the grips. Common to most if not all motorcycles' OEM grips. Don't know why, just it does. Keep that in mind.
Another reason why you should wear gloves ;-). I got my bike new last june and mine are fine. If yours are getting loose on the bars, just snag a new set, 10 bucks or so aint that big of a deal. ChopperCharles had some pretty badass grips on his ex500, they were cruiser-esque, but they looked sharp.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Elix said:
My grips seem to be weak or deteriorated. For example, if I grab the outer part of the throttle grip and twist, it'll go about a quarter turn before the inner part starts to twist. I want something that feels solid, not mushy.
I'm told grip glue helps them stay in place. I usually just slide mine on dry or add some dish soap if they're too tight (it'll dry and help hold it), but the shop said grip glue keeps them planted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen the HVMP bar ends and assumed I'd get them one day, but just ran across these today:

http://www.throttlemeister.com/tm.html

The concept seems pretty slick - a combo bar end & throttle lock. Anybody use them?

I'm thinking the heavy version (14 oz) in black milled. 8)

·
Registered
96 Posts
When you're putting grips on, spray some hair spray on the inside first. It'll help them slide on easier, and then when it dries it'll stick them on, but not too much, like glue.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
spider_kyle said:
When you're putting grips on, spray some hair spray on the inside first. It'll help them slide on easier, and then when it dries it'll stick them on, but not too much, like glue.
Big thanks for the tip

·
Registered
404 Posts
I guess the guy putting mine on at the factory got carried away w the glue...
I had to cut mine away when I switched 'em

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
192 Posts
my father has the throttle meisters on his vfr, they are pretty badass... they do what they are designed to do very well and are very good quality, but only practical on highway use and not for long at that, i mean, what has the world come to when sport bike riders just want to "cruise"

·
Registered
549 Posts
dad said:
If you're having a problem that you think soft grips will fix, your actual problem is gripping the bars too tight. Quit it and it will feel better. ;)
Of course I am, I'm hanging on for dear life ;)

I was having trouble with my clutch hand getting tingly even on shorter rides. I saw the Sunline Grand Touring[/color] grips mentioned in another post and just got a set. It took a little modding to get it on but it works great! I rode almost an hour the first time and no problem with the hand. :) :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I'm looking into the Throttlemeister

Sometimes I have to get on the "slab" for extended periods of time, don't want to, but there you go. The pieces that you slide on to the grip take up too much room. They get in the way of my hand and stick to much. You can see how my grip has actually twisted from them. The what did they call it, Throttle Rocker or Cramp Buster now resides in the tank bag, I think, it just didn't work for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts