Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a red light today and my bike shut off and would turn back on. I pushed it to the side of the road and there was oil everywhere.

Dashboard lights go on but that’s it. Doesn’t start.

To top it off the AAA didn’t strap it down, angled the ramp and the bike tipped over, broke fairing and windshield

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Could be but it also might not be terminal. Not nearly enough information to go on though.

IE: where is the oil coming from, was there an event prior to like a noise or anything like that?

Does it turn over but not start? Does it not turn over? You get the idea.

List of details regarding the events leading up to the non start would help all the keyboard diagnosticians help you out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be but it also might not be terminal. Not nearly enough information to go on though.

IE: where is the oil coming from, was there an event prior to like a noise or anything like that?

Does it turn over but not start? Does it not turn over? You get the idea.

List of details regarding the events leading up to the non start would help all the keyboard diagnosticians help you out.
Some battery issues and took a minute to warm up nothing major.

The oil seems to be coming from around the battery. This weekend I will get the fairing off and see if I can locate where it is coming from. It isn’t a small leak, all my oil came out in within a few minutes.

When I hit the ignition button nothing happens. No clic, no trying to start, nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some battery issues and took a minute to warm up nothing major.

The oil seems to be coming from around the battery. This weekend I will get the fairing off and see if I can locate where it is coming from. It isn’t a small leak, all my oil came out in within a few minutes.

When I hit the ignition button nothing happens. No clic, no trying to start, nothing.
There really isn’t any engine oil near the battery. Off the top of my head the closest spot to the battery would be transmission/clutch. I believe directly below the battery is the sprocket/chain which wouldn’t have any oil. Based on the video it is just running down the frame from somewhere else. No clicking or crank makes me suspect that the leak could’ve sprung and quickly caused an electrical issue possibly saving the engine from running dry. Id expect that there would be some noise from the starter even if the engine was toast. Obviously if there was a knock or bang then there’s a higher chance of a big problem... I’d first just try to follow the oil path with a flashlight and find the highest point/source. You don’t want to spend time breaking down the whole bike if there’s a hole in the crankcase. I’d mostly look around the clutch/gearbox, crankcase, and oil pan (or any other low places) since obviously a leak at the top wouldn’t cause all of the oil to come out.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The crankcase breather feeds into the airbox. In theory, the waste gases built up in the crankcase vent into the airbox, and are then fed back into the engine through the carbs. In some scenarios oil can be expelled from the breather and into the airbox.

Is your airbox full of oil a the bottom?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
How come the chain is off the sprockets? Did it break? If so, the loose end of the chain may have cracked the crankcase just ahead of the front sprocket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts