Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what has changed on these bikes in the last 10 to 15 years? I used to own a 1990 model and it was great. A friend told me recently that he rode one and was not at all impressed! He said he was afraid to corner at 100 km on the open road! this seem strange because my bike handled great! This fella said I need to check the new bike out before purchasing one!

·
Registered
308 Posts
well the last overhaul to the bike was in 94 and that was a change in plastics, seats, and a few things like standard rear disc's. also the forks changed by a few mm's. thats all i can recall off the top of my head.

as far as the engine..i dont think theyve really changed anything

the suspension is a bit mushy...especially the front. but from what i hear you see plenty of ex's out at track days. no, its not gonna impress you like a SS bike, thats not what it was ever meant to do

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Cool thing is...
The suspension Forum has fixes for the forks & such if you need them.
I'm fine w/ mine but I'm 185 pounds & don't race.

Might want to check out the discussions on tires too.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
They are geared different , the headlight slightly changed , and the wheels went from 16'' to 17 inch. that's all i can think of for now . Also I'm not sure if the pre 94 has the Positive Neutral Finder. Maybe someone will chime in as for I've never rode an older EX.
Both do.
The forks are bigger and they moved the brake to the right side and discs in the rear with a whole diffrent swing arm and brake assy.
FOG

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The pre '94 had a positive neutral finder, cursed thing.
There was an update to the transmission in '94. Changed the shape of the dogs on 2nd gear so it doesn't pop out of gear as much.

Also the fuel tank, seat, fairings, fairing tree, instrument cluster, windshield, mirrors all changed in '94.
Didn't the post '94 get emergency flashers? ...or did it lose them?

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
The pre '94 had a positive neutral finder, cursed thing. So does the post 94s

You'd change your mind if you took it out. It would be Mighty tough to find neutral to start it when you stalled it in a intersection. In general it's by far the lesser of two evils. You can remove it if you want to take the tranny out of the bike. all it is is three steel balls that prevent engaging second gear when the output shaft in not spinning (the bike is stationary).

FOG

·
Registered
279 Posts
Red-Leg said:
Pre-94s had hazard lights as well.
haha, is that cause they break down more?

well, :-\ hell knows ive needed to use mine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lucky#13 said:
They are geared different , the headlight slightly changed , and the wheels went from 16'' to 17 inch. that's all i can think of for now . Also I'm not sure if the pre 94 has the Positive Neutral Finder. Maybe someone will chime in as for I've never rode an older EX.
Thanks for all the info. I was wondering if the gearing is different or the gears just cut different? Also I never had handling or reliability problems with my bike( it had the emerg flashers but I never used them). does the new design handle as well as the old one?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Tires make a big differance. Maybe your friend rode a new one with the crappy stock rubber. My 2nd gen was stable at 100mph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember that I did change my tires soon after I got my bike(1990) I ran Dunlop K 591's at the time and they were a drastic improvement over the stock bike.I also went up 1 size front and back.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i rode my bike with crappy stock tired for 10 months (hey were already used when i got em)
Yesterday i switched to Metzeler lasertecs....WOW, its a COMPLETELY diffrent bike, its incredible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts