Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Question....is the battery image you posted in post #3 the actual battery that you have? Or one that is just similar?

I know their website says it will work for an EX, but a 14AH battery will definitely spin the starter better than the 12AH listed for that battery. As yorkie said, it will work for a great starting bike, but the extra amperage would be more helpful in less that perfect scenarios. i.e. sitting for a while, cold weather, etc.

Either way....7v cranking seems faulty. Can you jump from a car battery and see how the bike responds to a solid battery?

My Ducati is super sensitive to a healthy battery. So much so that I carry one of those portable batteries as insurance (call me paranoid). My point is that a healthy battery is needed for a bike to reliably start.
I got a charger for it and ican jump it if necessary.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know their website says it will work for an EX, but a 14AH battery will definitely spin the starter better than the 12AH listed for that battery. As yorkie said, it will work for a great starting bike, but the extra amperage would be more helpful in less that perfect scenarios. i.e. sitting for a while, cold weather, etc.

Either way....7v cranking seems faulty. Can you jump from a car battery and see how the bike responds to a solid battery?

I think the AGM battery carries a 12 Volt Amp Hour rating.
The Yuasa Application Guide, 2020, lists the AGM YTX14HL-BS as a 12 Volt Ah. It lists the Yumicron Conventional YB14L-A2 as a 14 Ah battery.

Either way... can someone put a meter on their battery, crank it over and get the reading for our new friend?
I think it usually drops down between 9 and 10 volts, but mine is torn down right now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think the AGM battery carries a 12 Volt Amp Hour rating.
The Yuasa Application Guide, 2020, lists the AGM YTX14HL-BS as a 12 Volt Ah. It lists the Yumicron Conventional YB14L-A2 as a 14 Ah battery.

Either way... can someone put a meter on their battery, crank it over and get the reading for our new friend?
I think it usually drops down between 9 and 10 volts, but mine is torn down right now.
battery currently charging my friend has a charger on it and ill be back with the bike tomorrow . He says it automatically stops charging when battery is fully charged.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
@haybaler. 1st attempt 11.92volts. second attempt 11.85volts 3rd attempt 11.74 volts. each attempt lasted 5 or 6 engine revolutions. with the choke off. each test terminated when the bike started. battery left 5 mins between attempts to recover a little. start voltage test (before 12.86v. after 3 attempts 12.68v) battery is a AB 14L- BS gel battery. the YB14L-A2 lead/acid battery is indeed 14amps I have one sat on my bench.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@haybaler. 1st attempt 11.92volts. second attempt 11.85volts 3rd attempt 11.74 volts. each attempt lasted 5 or 6 engine revolutions. with the choke off. each test terminated when the bike started. battery is a AB 14L- BS gel battery. the YB14L-A2 lead/acid battery is indeed 14amps I have one sat on my bench.
Wow thanks! I really appreciate the readings buddy! I starting to think i should have opted for a 14 AH battery . But ill see if the fully charged 12 AH will do.

btw i dont plan on selling this bike for profit. This bike is a hobby for me educationally .I love learning more and more about how things work and what to do and what not to do

·
Registered
233 Posts
Actually didn't need to reassemble too much, but I may need a new battery!

At rest, key off: 12.34 V
Key On: gradual reduce to 12.00 V
Push Starter Button, starter engaged, turning motor: varies 9.95 - 10.6 V
Release Starter Button, key still on: recovers to 11.99 V
Repeat: Push Starter Button, starter engaged, turning motor: varies 9.8 - 10.5 V
Key Off: recovers to 12.16 V

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Actually didn't need to reassemble too much, but I may need a new battery!

At rest, key off: 12.34 V
Key On: gradual reduce to 12.00 V
Push Starter Button, starter engaged, turning motor: varies 9.95 - 10.6 V
Release Starter Button, key still on: recovers to 11.99 V
Repeat: Push Starter Button, starter engaged, turning motor: varies 9.8 - 10.5 V
Key Off: recovers to 12.16 V
yup.

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
Hey yorkie good news, so battery is fully charged. And I check spark plugs and coils. I took the spark plugs out and attached to coil then put against the engine to see if i see a visible spark. And i do 🙏🏼 Two beautiful sparks . So we got spark!
Spark is good. But this does not prove that the battery you have is up to par to start the bike under load.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I understand I sound like a noob and yall probably look down on people like me trying to revive a bike with minimal experience. I want to learn and digest and take in whatever advice and info i Get from yall. So imma remain positive. I dont want to go off on too much of a tangent
Check out my long topic ... It's not like that here!

I've got tons of help, just take it in and listen.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts