Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm trying to find the right size K&N air filter that slips directly onto my carbs. I eliminated the air box, and want to know what size people use when they did the same thing. i was thinking of getting a cone/pod, like others i've seen on here. i need the inside diameter, length, and possibly other dimensions, OR a part number. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Don't throw away your airbox.

FOG

·
Registered
548 Posts
You are looking for K&N RC-0982.

Planning on the same thing for mine. FOG, why not toss the airbox?

Robert

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Mine runs great with pods and the carbs are dead stock (off ebay from a wrecked '06), bone stock motor, w/ 2into1 header and a Yoshi can, and after 20 years of owning it, i would notice a stumble or flat spot, i have none and it just did a 12.9 in the qtr last week with that setup....

So if everybody (or at least FOG) says it won't work, that ain't always so 'cause mine runs like a raped date.

They are not K&N though, just some generic pod filters, i don't have the size handy though, sorry, just measure the outer diameter of where they go on the carbs.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
vegas said:
Planning on the same thing for mine. FOG, why not toss the airbox?

Robert
Because there are more peoples that have abandoned this concept than peoples who tuned them successfully. I.E. They are a pain to get done right most of the time.

If you are successful, let us know how you got it ;) I'll probably end up with a ChopperCharles mod eventually.. I keep on taking unnecessary part off the bike ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
frog, you're talking about the jets being tuned? if so, i need that done anyway, i'm currently at mile high elevation. do you know somewhere i can find the right jets so i don't have to do a guess and check half a dozen times?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Ouch, for over $60 ea i might consider 2 generic ones like i have, K&N's aren't magic, just another filter company who is able to charge too much beacuse of the hype over their product

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
exstreetfighter said:
do you know somewhere i can find the right jets so i don't have to do a guess and check half a dozen times?
I was hoping you could give us that answer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
closest answer i have to that is get the thing dynoed at your local shop. but that's about a $300 trip. usually forums with a larger (much larger) number of members with similar bikes (r6messagenet.com) have someone at your approximate elevation that can tell you the right jetting. I guess i was just hopeful when i asked.

by the way, i had my roommate measure the carb air intake diameter, said it was 1.82 inches or so, so i ordered the filters from k&n hastily, then found out through you guys it's 2.25", correct? what a bummer. f*#%@&! roommate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can anyone send me a picture of their air filters? There's some other intake areas besides the carbs. What did you do with them? (two i believe, one below the air box/carbs, and one above the cars, with a splitter)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
here's mine

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts