Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first bike. I was wondering what to look for as far as mechanically goes when buying a used bike. Is there any tricks or things I can do while test driving it to make sure it has not been abused? Aside from looking at the tire wear and checking for leaks I really dont know what else to do because I am not at all fimaliar with motorcycles. Any advice will help. Also, is there a cut off for high mileage cycles that a person should stay away from or does it depend on the year also?

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Go to the FAQ section and read.

FOG

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks HooliganD that will help out.

FOG, I tried in the FAQ section but there were only 6 topics I found and none of them were about what things to look for.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Unless you are buying a bike from a "friend" or a really trusted source, I would be careful about putting too much faith in "seller disclosure."
(Even a friend might not be aware of problems if they aren't a mechanic).

If you are unable to trust your own judgement, take somebody along (even if you have to pay 'em) who can properly evaluate a bike's condition.
Even then, they might miss something, so try and go for the lowest price possible and don't act like you care one way or another about the bike, even if you do.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts