Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For me, it's an impact wrench.

Never had much in the way of air tool beyond paint guns and tire inflators. I inherited this impact wrench from my dad, and whilst I don't use it a tremendous amount, when I do, it usually saves the day.

That latest time was today, removing the big a$$ rear nut on my VFR800. A whopping 46mm (1-13/16" for you imperial folks). Quite the beast to remove using hand power alone. Check the VFR forums for all the stories of strife.

A had to order my impact socket, as no-one stocks these large sizes on the shelf in my area. After un-staking the nut, it probably took a max of 30 seconds to get the nut off, and with no more effort than pulling a trigger. You simply cannot beat an impact wrench to removing stubborn nuts, especially those that are atteched to mechanisms that like to rotate (i.e. wheels, clutch mechanisms, etc).

Here is the big-a$$ socket on the gun....

....and here is the easily defeated big-a$$ nut. :D

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
for me....welding equipment. Sorry I never learned.

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
As a young Toolmaker I could never afford the top line toolbox from Gerstner, even in later years when I owned the company I still never bought one. Now that I'm retired and don't need one I decided to make one for myself.
Kinda proud of it too
FOG

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used to be a Master certified ASE auto tech, I have more tools than God, but being in Florida nothing ever rusted, so I never needed to weld. Recently bought a welder and have begun practicing with it since there have been a few brackets and pieces I've needed to make for various projects.

Also, cordless impacts are a godsend. Just replaced valve cover gaskets on my Ram 1500 Hemi and my cordless 3/8" impact ratchet made the work so quick.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Never had much in the way of air tool beyond paint guns and tire inflators. I inherited this impact wrench from my dad, and whilst I don't use it a tremendous amount, when I do, it usually saves the day.

That latest time was today, removing the big a$$ rear nut on my VFR800. A whopping 46mm (1-13/16" for you imperial folks). Quite the beast to remove using hand power alone. Check the VFR forums for all the stories of strife.

A had to order my impact socket, as no-one stocks these large sizes on the shelf in my area. After un-staking the nut, it probably took a max of 30 seconds to get the nut off, and with no more effort than pulling a trigger. You simply cannot beat an impact wrench to removing stubborn nuts, especially those that are atteched to mechanisms that like to rotate (i.e. wheels, clutch mechanisms, etc).

View attachment 52788

View attachment 52789

View attachment 52788

On my personal bikes, have two of these, I break out my long 1/2 inch breaker bar and go at them like that. No air tools for my personal bikes. I had to change the rear rotor on my 93 VFR and remember using this method. Trying to think if I had to remove that nut on my 91. I know I re-torqued the nut on my 91 with my 1/2 inch Snap On torque instrument. I would eat a vegan quiche and not have wine with it either. LOL

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
Thank you , had to borrow a table saw and a planer, the design is mine, and
I just pretended it was made out of alumunium.
Fog

·
Registered
130 Posts
There are still a lot of tools I wish I had but don’t. As far as ones I have and wish I bought sooner, I have to go with my reversible ratcheting Metric and Standard wrenches. They are amazing for tight spaces and I often find myself using them even when a ratchet and socket would work.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I have an electric impact gun. To tell the truth, the thing that seems to work more reliably for me, for stuck bolts, is a breaker bar. A long telescoping bar that holds sockets.

I use this every time I remove the rear wheel as well as change summer rims/tires for winter rims/tires on the car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have an electric impact gun. To tell the truth, the thing that seems to work more reliably for me, for stuck bolts, is a breaker bar. A long telescoping bar that holds sockets.

I use this every time I remove the rear wheel as well as change summer rims/tires for winter rims/tires on the car.
You need to leave the "Great White North" and move to South Florida mannnn, of course that's when they open the boarder up! LoL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts