Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
A tool I use constantly is my VOM (digital volt-ohm meter). Also very handy on the bike is a set of T-shaped Allen keys. They are a lot handier and easier to use than the typical fold-out or L-shaped Allen keys.

·
Registered
11,018 Posts
You’re gonna laugh but it is rock straps. Every time I want bring something home and strap it to the seat I never seem to have them handy.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Today I ordered myself a little birthday present. A tool that I’d only previously seen in a heavy equipment repair facility and cost the shop around $1K.

Somehow a similar product is now available Amazon for a meezly $225. It was $244 after tax. What is it might you ask?

A magnetic induction tool. Basically it uses magnetic induction to heat up frozen nuts or bolts via an insulated wire.

I’ve used an industrial version of the tool I just ordered to do exactly that without any heat damage to the surrounding area. So for instance inside a truck cab or even a car.

No open flame and a highly controlled on demand heat source means you an apply heat anywhere without having to strip out flammable stuff like seats or upholstery.

It is also wholly electric and requires no gas storage of oxygen or acetylene…..and it’s small enough to fit in my tool box.

This is not the exact kit I bought as for some reason I could not paste the image from Amazon in due to some sort of “coding error”

This one is called “Mini-ductor” but the tool is essentially the same.

·
Registered
19,690 Posts
I change wheel (tires) and do brake work and such ,recently the lug bolts on my SL 55 AMG have been impossible to break loose, I have two air impact wrenches and both are unable to do the job.
I borrowed a battery powered one from my friendly local truck repair shop. I did the job. My biggest air tool only generates about 600 lbs Ft. the E one dose 1700 lbs FT. Milwaky sells them for $600 or so Harbor freight has one for 300 something. It on my list if the Never seize don't work

FOG

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Good air compressor. Back when I was sick, I saw a Saylor-Beall 80 gallon two-stage on eBay. About 40 minutes away. The company had purchased two compressors and really only needed one, so after a few years, they put it up for auction. It got no bids, so I drove up there and looked it it. Original air filter element was still white, indicating low run time. The fellow said, "Oh, this comes with it" - a Speedaire refrigerated air dryer. Well, I suppose I can haul it away. About $2,500-$3,000 worth of stuff. They were asking $500, so the deal was done. The only down side was that it had a 3ph motor. For about $250, I bought a Baldor 1ph 5HP. Similar to the setup below.

Oh, the seller? Nordstom's. Their warehouse.

Gas Cylinder Machine Engineering Technology

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Damn. That’s a nice set up. My old shop upgraded the old piston compressors that were installed when the building was built in 1978. This was around 3-4 years ago, just before I moved on.

The upgrade was to two identical IR screw drive compressors from one large, and one small piston type compressor.

The old ones couldn’t keep up with a heavy duty 1” drive impact wrench. And the large one by itself couldn’t air up a large forklift tire to 120 lbs without struggling.

The new set up is awesome. Neither compressor struggles to meet the shop air demands and when both are used down a single large ID airline the 1” has all the volume it needs and then some. As a bonus, both compressors got a similar air dryer set up to yours.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I will take luck over skill any day. Plus, I'm the only guy that goes to Nordstrom shopping for an air compressor. I always suspected that they had something that would interest me.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts