Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
I wish (and still dont have) those neat little toolkits that come w the bike for self maintenance. Never got one w my bike and when you need it broken down on the side of the road (happens to me more often than not) gawddam do you want it.
I now always carry 8-14mm sockets, JIZ bits, zip ties & electrical tape everywhere I go. I've helped 3 people thus far with these simple tools while out and about.
Stress on the JIZ bits. Until BPE , Yorkie , and Ducatiman, I never knew the significance of these and how much easier it is to remove jap screws w them.
There are a couple factory kits presently listed on ebay for ($33 and $40). Free shipping. Combine one of those with the stuff you already carry and you'll be able to do darn near anything that can be done by the side of the road.

I still haven't gotten around to getting myself a set of JIS bits. They've only been on my list for about 40 years!

·
Tanker Clown
8,720 Posts
I still haven't gotten around to getting myself a set of JIS bits. They've only been on my list for about 40 years!
Same sorta. 30 years for me. Just picked up a set straight from Japan on Amazon for $20 shipped. BTW; the size bit indicated is 6.35. That’s 1/4” and fits fine in my impact driver as well as my Wiha 1/4” bit screwdriver
Product Font Rectangle Ammunition Writing implement

·
Registered
64 Posts
My set of tools is small given I've only been on my own for a few years. But between the bike and my car. A dremel has been the best tool I've used so far. Clean up a surface? Dremel. Broken tap? Dremel. Broken Extractor? Dremel.

·
Tanker Clown
8,720 Posts
Bought a few new tools to brag about for this thread. A little while back I bought a set of “torque stick” extensions to work with my new 1/2” impact wrench.

For those unfamiliar, the extensions are made from spring steel and flex when a specific torque is achieved. All I do is add the proper sized socket and the extension for the torque required and away you go.

No worries about over torque or snapping off a wheel stud. A distinct possibility when the max torque created by your impact wrench is in excess of 1100 ft lbs.

Today I received my new plasma cutter to make metal fabrication a slight bit easier. Now, I’d wanted one for a very long time but always decided that $1K was too much for home project kinda level work.

Recently I watched a YouTube video by a pro welder who was testing welders and plasma cutters available on Amazon for his home shop. He gave high marks to a company called Hynade. Both their welding wire and welder.

So I got their plasma cutter as he mentioned they made one that was a reasonable price for home use. It was well under $200 so I pulled the trigger. I’ll have to assemble it all and do some tests to see how well it cuts different metals and thicknesses.

I’ll report back once I get thing going and cut some stuff.

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,889 Posts
Nothing I don't think I would add when I was starting out.

I would have just bought quality tools a lot sooner, instead of wasting money and cheap crap, over and over again.

That would have been worth a bunch, no aggravation with good quality tools, instead on bending, breaking, no the exact size.

·
Registered
45 Posts
OEM spark plug socket. None of my other plug sockets seemed to work in that tight space. Found one on Amazon. When I got the bike it had Champion plugs with wrong size hex. One probably cross threaded. Replaced with the correct plugs. There may be helicoil inserts in it's future. Changing plugs is no fun.

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
IIRC Motion Pro makes a thin wall spark plug socket for the bike, or bikes like it.

Reactions: JBlackwell1989

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Same sorta. 30 years for me. Just picked up a set straight from Japan on Amazon for $20 shipped. BTW; the size bit indicated is 6.35. That’s 1/4” and fits fine in my impact driver as well as my Wiha 1/4” bit screwdriver
View attachment 55905

Dude?! All that, and no link 🖇🖇😂 stop teasing us, and give us the money shot link 🔗 so we can get some of that tasty JDM goodness.

·
Tanker Clown
8,720 Posts
Dude?! All that, and no link 🖇🖇😂 stop teasing us, and give us the money shot link 🔗 so we can get some of that tasty JDM goodness.
Like I wrote….I got them on Amazon. Lemme pop over there and I’ll get you a link.

BW-15 Gold Bit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AQMJEE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QK0DK7KV9SAZ4V5RFZ27?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There you go. All I did was search Amazon for a set of JIS screwdrivers and found the set above. Nothing special to my search….and anyone can buy from Amazon. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: ghostt

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I got my JIS driver (just the one) in an old tool kit that belonged to bike I had. still got it never a problem, of course I only ever use it to remove the screws they never go back in, I always replace them with Allen screws.

·
Tanker Clown
8,720 Posts
I think they make those JIS screws out of a metallic looking cheese. Only good for a single use, must be replaced if removed.

·
Tanker Clown
8,720 Posts
Yesterday I had to get the oil change done on the GSXR 600. I’d almost forgotten I ordered them but a little while back I ordered up some T-handles.

I got a motion pro 1/4” drive for when I need sockets and 2 WERA comfort grip T-handles in 8mm and 10mm socket sizes.

Honestly I’ve never used T-handles much in my professional life. As an aviator I didn’t use many tools as such and spending half my career in heavy equipment…well….you generally have no use for anything under 1/2” drive.

They do make working on a motorcycle that little bit easier. 8 & 10mm are the 2 most common sizes on any motorcycle in my garage so I got those in fixed t-handles.

Also I have 2 separate sets of “bit” tools. 1 is 1/4” but the other is 10mm hex. The 10mm t-handle comes in pretty handy to drive those tools. It’s like having a whole set of T-handles!

Now I’d honestly put off buying t-handles because as I just stated, I had no need for them…and I have powered tools If I need to speed up things. Kinda wish I’d gotten them years ago.

Reactions: ghostt
41 - 53 of 53 Posts