Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

What Type of Oil Do You Use?

• Total voters
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Excellent point FOG, and I certainly don't know anywhere near as much as you do about this platform (which I'm sure you know) my basis is running temp (didn't fail), shifting, felt fine, and engine noise. I hope to never rebuild this engine, although it may be more fun that the auto engines I have rebuilt, so I suspect I will never be able to actually compare an engine run with Castrol vs Rotella or any other oil for that matter.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I do a lot of work for engine rebuilders and auto restorers, and see a lot of the insides of engine parts - mostly covers and cases.

The thing I notice most are heavy deposits in hot and cold areas from broken-down oil and/or additives. I attribute the deposits in the hot areas from broken-down conventional oil and the deposits in the cold areas from broken-down additives.

On a recent cross country trip in a friend's truck I checked the oil for him at a stop. The dipstick had heavy deposits on it that were smoking when I pulled it out. He has always had his oil changed at the dealership (factory recommended intervals or less) with whatever conventional oil they use. The engine is a Chevy V8 and has about 120K on it I believe.

I've always used synthetic oil, changed in the range of 3000 to 6000 mi depending on conditions, and have never seen any deposits - much less smoking deposits - on any of my dipsticks. One of my vehicles has almost 200K. Undersides of valve covers and valve train components are always spotless.

So even though your engine may run fine with whatever oil you use for however long you want to use it, there still may be a price to pay for running cheap oil for extended intervals.

Just my observations...

61 - 64 of 64 Posts