Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently responded to an ad for a 2002 Ninja 500 with 640 miles, $3500. I asked the person to send me pictures and the picture I got back did not look like a 2002, it looked like a 1999. It is missing the bottom fairing as well. I was curious to know how much a new lower fairing would be...seems to be around $240 for a new OEM replacement? Also is the paint scheme an accurate way to determine the year for these bikes...I have yet to see it in person to look for the stickers or the VIN #. Per the ad it was never dropped and in great condition.

Here is the picture I was sent. http://www.threekingsproduction.com/Ninja500.jpg

Any help would be appreciated...thanks.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Neat !

Green blinkers ;)

IIRC this paintscheme was available in 2002.. Get the VIN# though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies...I too thought it looked like a 2002 since it was black and red but I started looking for lower fairing replacements and noticed a couple differences in the 2002 paint design from 1999. Check this link for comparison between the 1999 the 2002 and the picture I was sent.

http://www.threekingsproduction.com/ninja.html

I am going to look at the bike tonight so I can check the title and Vin# and find out for sure but I just thought I would check with this group of knowledgeable individuals about the reliability of judging year by paint scheme. This way have an idea going into this if I should be worried if the paint scheme doesn't match the year indicated by the VIN# and title.

Thanks again

·
Registered
109 Posts
I saw a '96 with the same paint job. So who knows....

·
Registered
46 Posts
1999 or 2002, think $3500 is far to much, unless it's the year you want.
In March brought a 2006 (Green) 8 month old with 450 miles including a
Kawasaki 5 year extended warranty..$3900.
Probably could have got it for a little less, but in my case I wanted a GREEN
one.
ex500 '06
ex250 '06
Alan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I went to see the bike tonight and it turns out the picture she sent was of some other random bike. The one she actually had was in fact a 2002 with the expected paint and all expected parts. Only 624 miles in pretty much perfect condition. Not sure where she got the picture she sent but I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. Her son was the one who showed the bike and he knew nothing about the picture she sent so that remains a mystery. Oh well, thanks to those who replied and now I will let the bargaining begin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts