Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than about 50cc in engine size? ZX6R is a supersport class and the 650R is a sport class - What are the specific markets for these two bikes (which to my uninformed perspective seem pretty similar)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
What they have in common.
1. They are both motorcycles
2. They are both built by Kawasaki and have Ninja in their name.

Everything else about them is different.

Different engine, suspension, frame, everything.

The 650 is ment to be more of a sporty bike that has a comfortable riding position.

The ZX6R is made to win races. The only thing the ZX6R sacrafices for speed are required by law in order to be street legal.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Yup.

Don't be fooled by the 650 being "bigger" than the 600. The 650 is a parallel twin motor (like the ex500) that is designed to be manageable and efficient. The 600 is an inline-4 motor that is designed to scream. The riding position is much more aggressive on the zx-6, it uses more fuel, it's lighter, and it's much faster.

The 650 is built to be fun, but be comfortable to ride. The ZX-6 is built to kick ass.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
yeah, well, you know. It's how I roll 8)

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
This is pretty much covered. one is more entry/intermediate level(650R) and one, is more for experienced riders and track freaks to compete on(ZX6R)

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you gun the 650 at 55 miles an hour you'll just go faster. If you gun the zx6 at 55 your front wheel will be in the air :).

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
yeah and the other day I was cruising on my 'busa at 250mph. saw a cop so I gunned it up to 300. outran the jet fighter they had to send after me.
-paraphase of "quikzx6r" on the OR forum. ... tool.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
The 650R is the neutered version of ZX6R.

sorry, Dave, no offense intended.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Kahooli said:
yeah and the other day I was cruising on my 'busa at 250mph. saw a cop so I gunned it up to 300. outran the jet fighter they had to send after me.
-paraphase of "quikzx6r" on the OR forum. ... tool.
isn't his SN quikzx9r?

some more differences between the 650R and ZX6:

- suspension. 650 has 'standard' forks. ZX6 has inverted forks, which reduce unsprung weight, and improve rigidity. the 2010 ZX6 also features "big piston forks," that the 650R certainly doesn't have.
- brakes. I'm betting teh 650 doesn't have radial-mounted calipers.
- the ZX6 is an inline 4, and probably redlines around 16,500 RPM. the 650R is a parallel twin and likely redlines at 12,000 RPM. the sound will be noticeably different, in addition to the power delivery.
- the ZX6 likely puts out ~115 hp, the 650R puts out no more than 70 hp on its best day.

and finally, the 650 R is around $4,000 less expensive than a ZX6.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
one other difference,
The 650R increases penis size by 3"
The ZX6R increases it by 6-8"

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
newton2 said:
The 650R is the neutered version of ZX6R.

sorry, Dave, no offense intended.
WTF? The 650R is not a neutered version of anything. The bikes could not be any different if one of them had the handlebars on the pillion seat.

The intended markets are also totally different. People who buy ZX6s are interested in the newest technology, highest speed, sharpest handling, and sometimes maybe just having the "cool" thing.

650Rs are made for folks who are either learning to ride or have learned that riding does not have to be balls out all the time.

Both are fine bikes, but in my opinion do not lend themselves to comparison at all. Totally different things.

I like my 650R because it's peppy but unintimidating, it does not tempt you into idiocy, fuel economy is good, and comfort is reasonable. It's abilities exceed my own at this point by a wide margin, so I don't feel I'm "missing" anything. Oh, and red-carpet full coverage insurance for me is $274 a year.

Would I like to have a ZX6? Sure, if it was given to me. I got the type of bike I wanted.

The 650R is basically a better Ninja 500R.

S

·
0 Posts
Re. ^, my 650R tempts me into idiocy every time I ride it. I can be an idiot on most any bike, but my 650R seems to force my rational side into restraining my idiot side much more often. Idiot = going fast without the commensurate skill level.

·
Registered
302 Posts
650R increases cup size by 1
zx6R increases cup size by 3

is that what you were looking for?

:p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re. ^, my 650R tempts me into idiocy every time I ride it. I can be an idiot on most any bike, but my 650R seems to force my rational side into restraining my idiot side much more often. Idiot = going fast without the commensurate skill level.
You make me sick!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts