Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had a carburated bike in about 7 years so I can't recall which position is the proper way. Should the petcock switch be in the off position if it's going to parked for a few hours or overnight?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
No need. The petcock has a vaccuum function that shuts off anytime the engine is off, regardless of selector valve position.

·
Registered
97 Posts
dad said:
No need. The petcock has a vaccuum function that shuts off anytime the engine is off, regardless of selector valve position.
[/quote

His statement is the answer to your question, If you are unsure that your petcock is good,shut the bike off, pull the fuel line off and watch the end of the petcock to see if any gas is coming out,if there is that meens your petcock needs rebuilt. There should not be any gas coming out of it with the bike not running,even when its in the ON position.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I turn mine off when ever I get off from a ride, and back on everytime before I start it. It is just habit I got used to doing

·
Registered
94 Posts
the 500ex has a vacuum fed system, that means when the engine is not pulling fuel, nothing comes out of the gastank. I use to turn off the petcock on my bikes as well, (older bikes would leak gas out the carbs if you didn't do that) but there is no need to on this bike. Doesn't hurt, just remeber to turn the valve back on before taking off down the highway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts