Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here is a qwik ?

Possibly more for "upgrade section" but thought cuz it is wheel related i would place it here..

Ok so my 06 has everything "glossy" black from the tank down.. all except the wheels.. so

I was wondering what ya'll might think of having the wheels (which are black already) made glossy to match the frame and all else down there..

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thinking bout just having the whole rim.. glossy.. and not polishing the lip.. all black

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
all black is cool

but picts could help to get a better idea ;)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Maybe try an image search (ex 500, 500 Ninja, etc) looking for your color of bike. Find a pic with dark wheels, & one with light. Example... (generation II on top, gen I below w/o bottom fairing)

·
Registered
440 Posts
A gloss black powdercoat would be fairly low maintenance and a tough finish too. Use a polyester powder.

S

·
0 Posts
I think you should get something like Rhino lining, or whatever the DIY version is...won't scratch!

·
Registered
270 Posts
rhino lining would build up too much and affect your balance.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've had good results with ppg paint but powder coat is the way to go for wheels.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
There's a guy i know from 600rr.net.  Name is Tripage and runs Tripage.com.  He does a lot of powdercoating as part of his business, and it comes out smokin nice.  he's a **** of a guy to work with too.  check him out.

http://www.tripageled.com/ (Don't mind the intro music, turn down the speakers, it's kinda loud)

·
Registered
440 Posts
I know a guy North of Kalamazoo who does a nice job with the powder and I can get you his info if you need it. He specializes in race and show cars so you're not limited to black. In fact I think that you should go with day glo orange or candy raspberry.

Seriously I can hook you up and I was going to get a price on a pair of 17" wheels anyway so I'll let you know. If you catch him on the right Saturday it might be a while you wait (a few hours) job too so only one trip out. I've had him do a ton of ultralight frames over the years.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Tough Coat near Kalamazoo, MI will powdercoat the wheels single-coat for $25 each as long as there is not too much prep work. A two coat powder job (addtl clear, neon or candy colors, etc.) will run $35-40 each. Each wheel will run about $20.00 to bead/shell blast if you want or need that done too.

I've gotten these guys to do a lot of work for me over the years (thousands of airframe parts) and I have been very happy. Phone is (269) 978-2628. I spoke with Rodney today but Brent could help you too.

For the price I'm thinking of getting my wheels on my EX done even though I hadn't been planning on it. The more wheels the merrier (and cheaper).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mad Matt... here is the only problem with that idea.. I am several hundred miles east in southeastern Pa

·
Registered
440 Posts
Jkrup47 said:
Mad Matt... here is the only problem with that idea.. I am several hundred miles east in southeastern Pa
Whoops I got confused and thought you were in Michigan. You may want to give XYZ Finishing in Vorhees NJ a call if that's not too far. (856) 427-9646. When I had a business in NJ I used them a lot and the race frame mfg's ALL went there becasue he had a 25' oven that fit even the big rails. For really hot custom work there used to be place out at South Jersey Regional Airport in Medford. They were more pricey but I got them to do a custom candy raspberry radiator and satin gold exhaust that was HOT! I'll have to look up the name but it was completely non-descript like Tim's painting and sandblasting or something like that. He specialized in dragsters and other race cars. NOT Fina's finishing they are next door and are strictly wet painters.

Shipping to Tough Coat would not be too bad though and if you wanted I wouldn't mind running them up there and telling him they were mine. Odds are the second pair actually would be.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I remembered the name of the powdercoat place at the airport. It's Johnson Powdercoating and they are in Burlington, NJ now. Chris Johnson is the owner and Mike is his right hand man and can help you out too. Website is http://www.johnsonspowdercoating.com/

These guys are top notch. They did a plane for me that won all kinds of awards but you are going to pay for that kind of work.

Now you've got some options. XYZ for budget (but still pretty good) or Johnson for no compromises.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the help.. not sure when i am going to get around to doing the wheels... wanna get the front suspension taken care of.. then see where I am at.. might wait til next winter for that project

1 - 18 of 18 Posts