Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah another exhaust question :-\ but I was just wondering if there was a certain procedure to removing the stock exhaust? I have a new full system that I want to put on, and the directions say to remove the stock exhaust as per the owner's manual instruction, then to install the new exhaust in reverse order. I don't have an owners manual (and I don't plan to get one), so that's why I'm here asking you all.

I'm just going to start by removing the headers, then I'll work my way back to the can. Sound good?
Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
Yeah another exhaust question :-\ but I was just wondering if there was a certain procedure to removing the stock exhaust? I have a new full system that I want to put on, and the directions say to remove the stock exhaust as per the owner's manual instruction, then to install the new exhaust in reverse order. I don't have an owners manual (and I don't plan to get one), so that's why I'm here asking you all.

I'm just going to start by removing the headers, then I'll work my way back to the can. Sound good?
Thanks

Do it the other way around. First take the cans off,then the header pipes. I guess it doesn't really matter,I just find it easier to take the cans off first.

·
Registered
192 Posts
yeah, def cans first, cuz they weigh the most and are the only thing that fixes the exaust system to the frame.... then take off the middle clamp which holds the midpipe sections together.... finally unscrew each pipe from the engine... ET VOILA!!! C'EST FINI!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
You can take the whole thing off as a piece just unbolt from the rear hangers and hold it up with a Bubgee cord over the saddle the unbolt at the head and the whole thing goe off foward. You will have to pick up the front .

FOG

·
Registered
192 Posts
yeah.... it is possible to do that, fog, but it makes more sense to remove it in chunks... you cant store or throw away a full exhaust system when its fully connected. well, at least i cant fit it in my trashcan.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
True enough,I just though I'd throw that one out . I did it that way on the race bikes because it was the fastes way. and my exhaust system were so battered I welded the whole thing into 1 piece. I often had an engine out of a bike in ten miniuts on the bench.
FOG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts